Question A question on using Mediums for honey supers and frame spacing

I have 10 frame mediums I want to super with. I have a uncapping knife and scratcher. Any advantage of 8 frames spacing over 9, for extraction and cutting cappings ? I have always done 10 frames and crush and strain .

Default Re: A question on using Mediums for honey supers and frame spacing

I would use 9 frames. The bees will draw it out thicker with more honey in it.

I do 8 frames in a 10 frame super.. BUT only after they are drawn. If not drawn (just foundation) place 10 frames in the super.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    I do 8 frames in a 10 frame super.. BUT only after they are drawn. If not drawn (just foundation) place 10 frames in the super.
    I do the same thing. With 8 frames, the knife will cut off much more of the cappings. With 9, you will have to use the scratcher much more and will take you longer.

I use 8 frames in 10 frame equipment, (drawn combs). I use 9 frames in 10 frame equipment for foundation. In both cases they will draw them out thicker, less picking, faster uncapping.

cchoganjr

Is having deeper cells in the honey super reduce the chance the queen will lay there?

If you are drawing foundation pack the frames as tightly together as you can get them. I shave my frames so I can get 11 in a ten frame box and draw them that way. After they are drawn initially, go for a nine frame spacing which will give you combs easy to uncap. I found 8 frames in a ten frame box gave me more cappings than I wanted to deal with at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    Is having deeper cells in the honey super reduce the chance the queen will lay there?
    I don't believe it would make any difference. The best reason for the fewer frames is that they are soooooo easy to uncap. Never any scratching or dips in the comb. You will have a lot more cappings, but, I just melt it down and sell the wax.

Vance G. When I want new shallow super drawn frames, I use 9 frame spacer bars, (metal) so that all frames are equally spaced and I get very good results, with virtually no dips and the comb fully drawn out beyond the top bar and the bottom bars. Then go with 8 frames in the 10 frame box.

With 11 frames in a 10 frame super you will spend a lot of time picking that first extraction, because the comb won't come out beyond the top and bottom bars. What little bridge comb I get from the 9 frames and foundation, is well worth the time I save by not having to pick the caps, just shave them off with the knife riding on the top and bottom bars.

cchoganjr