Hybrid View

Default Will the queen move up?

The barrel of bees we were supposed to get from the steel barrel did not work out. When our mentor moved the barrel the comb broke lose, and fell into the bottom of the barrel. There was water in the bottom of the barrel. All was lost. very tragic as there was perhaps 35 to 40# of comb and honey, and thousands of bees in there. So he gave us a hive log. This has plywood nailed to both top and bottom. per his instruction, I cut 1-3/4" holes into the top plywood, and the bottom board. I put a layer of newspaper between the log and the bottom board, then put my two deeps from the queen less hive onto that. The idea being that the bees will chew away the newspaper, and join colonies. Hopefully the queen will move up and make use of the many frames of comb, all cleaned and awaiting her eggs. There is wire mesh stapled onto the hole in the log that the bees used as an entrance. The log bees have a lot of comb, so probably have enough food. They'll probably need water though.
    the bees on the outside of the screen I thought were bees escaping from the log. Instead they were bees who were from the other hive trying to get in. I guessed they smelled the queens pheromone, my mentor said more likely they wanted to rob out the log. When I moved the log up to the hives (200ft or so) bees from the queen less once again gathered on the screen.

Default Re: Will the queen move up?

Maybe she'll move up. Maybe they'll just stay down, and use the hive boxes as honey storage supers, keeping the broodnest down below in the log. It will depend on your flows.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    Maybe she'll move up. Maybe they'll just stay down, and use the hive boxes as honey storage supers, keeping the broodnest down below in the log. It will depend on your flows.
    Thanks. Those boxes have honey in the corners of the frames. No brood, no eggs, no larvae. I didn't plan on leaving it all together like this. I was in the hopes the queen and her girls would move up into the boxes, and then I can take them off of the log and put them back on their original SBB.
    I need to secure this contraption as it currently is pretty top heavy, that I know.

Here is a video on drumming that you will find interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJDOLxvHr2s
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Would the reverse work? ie. Put log on top and let them move down into the boxes? It's my understanding, they like to build from top down....of course I'm just speculating (No experience).

Bees like to have the brood right below the honey, so if there is not too much honey in the top hive they will move up, with one BUT.

1 3/4 holes, the bees do not like having a hive divided by such a small hole. They will if need be, but only if forced. You may get lucky, but a surer plan would be rather than mess further with your bottom board, I'd suggest getting a piece of ply, or some kind of board, and cutting a hole in it equal to the internal size of the log hive. Nail it to the log hive, and put the lang hive on top. This will be a much more open connection and the bees and queen will feel fine about moving around the whole area.

Put three strips of wood under 3 sides of the super to be the same as the runners on the bottom board, so the bees will have a front door. Long as the queen is not blocked from laying by honey, she will move up.

Once she is up and laying in there, there will still be brood in the bottom and if the top hive fills with honey she may be forced down again. You are really wanting to get rid of the log as soon as possible so give the top hive plenty of room to store honey. You could also use an excluder to confine the queen in the top hive, wait 3 weeks then remove the log.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

If you can put a frame of eggs/young larvae in the super the phermones will attract the queen and she will come up to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    If you can put a frame of eggs/young larvae in the super the phermones will attract the queen and she will come up to investigate.
    Interesting. So then would she stay up, or just come to look and smell?
    I can pull a frame from another hive. (originally that's what the plan was to make a queen in this colony, give them a frame with fresh eggs on it)

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    This is great, I'd forgotten about this trick when I replied earlier. Put a comb of young open larva in your bottom brood box. The queen will come up to check out the strange smelling brood and then claim it as her own by spreading her pheromones on it. Check back in ten minutes and she might be there. If not, check back later. Once you see her on the comb, then lift the hive boxes and put an excluder on the bottom so she is trapped in the boxes.