Default Mixing Oxytet by Volume

Having recently discovered a light AFB/EFB (test samples were taken, results not in yet) problem in three of my hives, I have to medicate with OxyTet 25.

As a small holding hobbyist, the package directions are not very useful:

"Directions For Use

AS A DUSTING POWDER: Thoroughly mix 454 g of OXYTET-25 with 3.5 kg of powdered sugar. Apply 32 g of medicated mix per colony on the outer parts or ends of the frames 3 times at 4 to 5 day intervals in the fall and in the spring at least 4 weeks before the main honey flow.

IN SUGAR SYRUP: Dissolve 454 g of OXYTET-25 in 300 kg of 1:1 sugar syrup (one part sugar: one part water). Bulk feed 2.5 kg of this medicated syrup per colony 3 times at 3 to 4 day intervals in the fall and in the spring at least 4 weeks before the main honey flow. Medicated syrup should be used immediately and consumed within one week.

Passing over the logistics of WEIGHING 300 kg of sugar syrup....what I need is volume directions ie. how many teaspoons of OxyTet 25 to how many cups of icing sugar or 1:1 syrup!

I can figure that out once I find my little kitchen scale, but meanwhile, has anyone done the math already?

Default Re: Mixing Oxytet by Volume

I have not treated in years, but when I did have to use terramycin for EFB it was mixed 1 tbs to 5 tbs powdered sugar. One tbs of the mix was dusted in the colony every 7 days for 3 weeks.

I think the concentration of the OxyTet as supplied in the bag is higher now?

Have you considered using a premixed product?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

According to a post in this thread, 14 grams is one tablespoon:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...?282247-Oxytet
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft