Default Honey bees in a cherry tree branch

Hello everyone! My name is Charlie. My father raised bees when I was little and taught me some about them back then. Two summers ago a swarm landed on my green house on the first of July. I grabbed one of dads old brood boxes and caught it. It grew quickly and soon I needed another box. I had it in good shape going into winter. In the spring the bees where toast. I left the bottom box set up in hopes it would work as a swarm trap. July 14 a swarm moved in. By the end of July I realized they where queen-less, so I located a local beekeeper (1.5 hour drive away) and talked him out of a frame with brood and eggs. He even threw in a couple of frames of bees. I was very excited when the forage bees started to bring in pollen, I found I had a queen! But then the robbers showed up. So this last winter I did a lot of studying to figure what I did wrong or could have did better. I landed on this site many, many times. So the problem with the first hive.... no ventilation. The second hive I needed an entrance reducer.
    This evening I am going to go get a wild hive out of a cherry tree branch. I will have a lot of questions and hopefully I can get a hive through the winter.
    I look forward to sharing with all of you.
    Charlie

Default Re: Honey bees in a cherry tree branch

Welcome Charlie!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome. You found a great place for bee people

Well, I got home with the branch and the bees inside. It must weigh 200 pounds. It is dark so I will wait until morning to do the cut out. This is my first cut out, any advice? All of the drawn comb that I have is being used in swarm traps. Will the bees do a neat job of drawing foundation next to wild comb or should I rob my traps? It is supposed to get close to 100 degrees tomorrow, will that make any difference on them accepting the box (10 frame deep) and should I fill all the space with frames? This is just me thinking too much....I am kind of excited.
    Off to bed so I can get an early start...
    Be Good,
    Charlie

I have bees in Las Vegas. Nevada and for a few days it has been well over 100 degrees. I keep my bees in the shade because of the heat here. I have a thermometer in each of the only two hives I have. One hive seemed to be so tame and small that I believe they had trouble being robbed. Make shift round hard cardboard carton as a hive was a problem. Later more entrances was a problem I think but as the bees made them I figured they needed them. I never took any honey .Entrances were top and bottom one inch holes at first but later small holes around bottom and top board. So few bees I finally tore it all apart and found quite a few wax moth trails and ants entering and to me no queen so a couple weeks ago I hopefully put in a couple frames with day old eggs but due to poor eye sight maybe not. They seem to be doing much better as a couple days ago I noticed three wax moth grubs that had just been hauled out of the hive. Once the temperature is around 102 as it is every day in July, on the average, I may look and see what I have but now there are so many in and out and they sound so good at night I prefer to not disturb them. When i read that the brood chamber is normally around 100 degrees I decided it might be better to not have so much ventilation. Time will tell.This hive is vertical with traditional frames but the other one is horizontal with mostly home made bars mostly. The bees seem to do an excellent job of following the bars but I stopped messing them up when maybe due mainly due to the hot weather one of the hanging combs full of honey broke off and fell down. Those bees seem to be doing well but are so mean I have only looked at them twice. The second time was to try and get a new egg for the hive that seemed to be being robbed. I like having them around even if I don't get any honey as they are so friendly. The most friendly I have ever been around. Google your problems and bees and you will get much to help you. Good luck

The cut out went really well. VERY gentle bees. I ended up putting them into two brood boxes. The bottom box has all of the wild brood in it and two frames of foundation. In the top box I put two frames of drawn comb centered above the brood and the rest foundation. I made an entrance reducer out of wood and screen, so there is just a small opening for them to get in and out of but good ventilation. I also put window screen on a queen excluder and used it as an inner cover and then propped up the top cover. I think that they have good ventilation and are also pretty well protected from robbing. I used half of a 55 gallon drum for a base and so far no ants. (They are a big problem here.) If I see any I will put a coat of vasaline around base so they won't climb up to the box. Temps have been in the mid 90's and are supposed to stay there for a week. The bees are bringing pollen into the hive so that is a good sign to me. I hope this works.
    Be Good,
    Charlie