Hybrid View

Default Mating nucs - add some syrup or not?

I have exclusively made up my nucs with cells established on deep frames via the MDA splitter method or taking the ones with swarm cells - 2 frames of brood, a frame of honey and 2 more frames.
    Tomorrow evening I am going to pick up 6 cells that someone had grafted, and in my quest for success I would like some advice.

Today I will set up 6 nucs as described above, and leave them queenless for 24hours, but I have three questions.

1) In my normal method there are never any eggs to interfere in the mating nucs from the hive of origin because the queen has been removed for long enough. When establishing nucs with cells do you worry about this and rogue queen cells , why or why not?

2) I had read that to aid in the bees accepting an unrelated cell it was useful to add some syrup to the nuc just before you add the cell, or at the same time. Do people do this routinely, or only in the off-season? Right now we are starting a flow and there will be plenty of nectar/honey in the nucs.

3) Any further tips?

Thanks.

Default Re: Mating nucs - add some syrup or not?

>1) In my normal method there are never any eggs to interfere in the mating nucs from the hive of origin because the queen has been removed for long enough. When establishing nucs with cells do you worry about this and rogue queen cells , why or why not?

I have not seen an issue with rogue cells in the mating nucs. It's a bigger issue in the starter/finisher. I want brood in the mating nuc to anchor the bees there...

>2) I had read that to aid in the bees accepting an unrelated cell it was useful to add some syrup to the nuc just before you add the cell, or at the same time. Do people do this routinely, or only in the off-season? Right now we are starting a flow and there will be plenty of nectar/honey in the nucs.

If there is a flow, I don't. If there is a dearth I feed them.

http://bushfarms.com/beesbetterqueen...20Down%20Cells
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

For what its worth I feed mine regaurdless. the small number of bees seem to do better with feed, and I am not sweating it. not had a problem with them trying to draw queens from eggs when a virgin is present.

Thanks to both of you. I think I will pour a little syrup into a tipped back reduced entrance tomorrow an hour before adding the cells. If I do it later and quickly it should not induce robbing. A little insurance won't hurt.