Default Queen cells with added comb

First time trying grafting and thought I did ok with 3 out of 9 cells started. Tomorrow is day to move to mating nuc. Checked them tonight and two of the three I thought were ok now have added comb on what I thought were queen cells. Anybody else out there ever had queen cells with this situation? Or are they just drawing comb and do not have queen cells.

Thanks in advance.

Soapy

Default Re: Queen cells with added comb

Yep, happens a lot of the time. Usually day 9 or so after grafting, for me. Your cells are most likely still good, go ahead and make your nucs and insert the cells.

I just finished grafting 30 cells and saw the same thing. The cells were the classic peanut looking when they were first capped. When I pulled them to install in nucs they had built comb around all of them making them about twice the size. I figured it was because I was using a really strong hive and feeding also. They should be hatching tomorrow so I'll see Monday how they do.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

It seems that most will trim or remove the excess comb around the queen cell. I didn't do that and just left the excess comb in place. What are some of your thoughts on this. Too late for me this time but maybe next time I should do something different? Will the bees remove the excess comb or does the queen have to get through it?

Mike

If you put in a sheet of foundation next to the cells it may help minimize extra wax build up.

Yeah I did have a sheet of foundation next to them and they built that out completely. I'm thinking I didn't need to feed them. Lesson learned.
    Now then, will the queens emerge alright?

Mike

Queens don't seem to have any more difficulty emerging from combed over cells than they do typical cells. Just be careful not to damage the cells when placing them, since it is slightly more difficult to avoid damaging them during placement, as the extra wax makes it more difficult to observe if the cells themselves are being damaged during manipulation and placement. Carefully removing the extra wax as each cell is pulled for placement, is an easier way to avoid those complications.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Well as I was going through the mating nucs to see how many cells had been accepted and hatched I got my answer. Every one of the cells had the wax stripped down to just the cell itself. Not a single one had the extra wax on the cell. I assume the bees did this in preperation of the queen coming out. Interesting stuff!