Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive splits limited space?

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Quick question. How do you contain a couple of urban hives from swarming without splits? Yes, I've read about artificial swarming a hive, but I have 2 hives and maybe only have space for a third for next year (1st year beek). Won't have to worry about it this year, but was curious to know how others with limited space maintain their 2-3 hives without always creating more. Love the bees, just have limited space (and time).

Thanks for any advice

#6 ·
requeen in the spring with a fresh queen!
As soon as your colony builds in the spring. order a fresh queen. on a nice day go into the hive find the old queen and pinch her off. wait at least 10, hours overnight if possible. then introduce your queen as you would any new queen. by changing out queens annually. you significantly reduce the possibility of swarming. it is no guarantee though. Do some splits and sell them, Or just let them swarm!

#8 ·
I see a lot of posts saying to split to prevent swarming. I agree with Michael Palmer that you reduce honey production by doing this. There are other ways to prevent swarming so that splitting is not needed. I suggest you read through this thread here...

http://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...rm-cells-for-re-queening-and-making-increases

Check through your hives within every ten days and keep space right above the brood for storing incoming nectar, and remove any queen cells if they are found.

#9 ·
Splitting is a last resort if your swarm prevention strategies are not working.

http://bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm

But also keep in mind splits are not permanent. You can recombine later and if that is your intention, you can do the splits stacked on top of the original hive and then combine once the swarm season is over, or recombine in the fall for winter, or do a combine next year just before the flow...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.