Default Hive split question

Suppose around the middle of July I split my hives to make nucs. I would like to know how to overwinter them. My location is ky. Can I make a candy board to place above the nucs. If I done that how deep should the candy board feeder be? Any. Suggestions on the best place to order queens for my existing hives that I split?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Hive split question

I've successfully overwintered 4 frame nucs in upstate New York.

When you make your split in July, give the new colony a mated queen.
    Here, we can't afford to lose a month of production while a new one is raised as in a walk away split, and still build up sufficient stores for winter.

I in a four frame, you're going to want about 3-1/2 frames fo stores and half frame of brood going into winter.
    Be ready to put another 4 frame box on early in the spring (they;ll draw the comb faster that way than in a hive body) or better yet, winter them with 4 frames of stores in a second box over the brood nest.

My four frame nuc built up to a 3 x 8frame deep hive by June (mix of drawn comb and frames), and has nearly drawn/filled a super.

Mind you, I'm in New York, not Kentucky.
    First freeze (and end of goldenrod) was in October; we still has some snow during willow/early maple in late Feb & March if memory is serving me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Beregondo View Post
    I've successfully overwintered 4 frame nucs in upstate New York.

When you make your split in July, give the new colony a mated queen.
    Here, we can't afford to lose a month of production while a new one is raised as in a walk away split, and still build up sufficient stores for winter.

I in a four frame, you're going to want about 3-1/2 frames fo stores and half frame of brood going into winter.
    Be ready to put another 4 frame box on early in the spring (they;ll draw the comb faster that way than in a hive body) or better yet, winter them with 4 frames of stores in a second box over the brood nest.

My four frame nuc built up to a 3 x 8frame deep hive by June (mix of drawn comb and frames), and has nearly drawn/filled a super.

Mind you, I'm in New York, not Kentucky.
    First freeze (and end of goldenrod) was in October; we still has some snow during willow/early maple in late Feb & March if memory is serving me well.
    So you would find it unnecessary to add a homemade hard candy feeder board on top of the nuc to over winter it? Thanks for the advice.

Here in north central Arkansas a nuc that covers 4 frames the middle of October will be starving by the first of March. If you have a cold, late spring, you will need to feed. A candy board or just table sugar above the frames will work. It is much better to have them build in the fall so they have 10 frames, 6 frames of which is honey/syrup. That much feed lasts until April.

Does Walter T. Kelly Company still have queens for sale? Their Russian X queens were a good queen, at least they were 5 years ago.