Thread: marking queens

Default marking queens

whats does everyone use to mark there queens? I know they sell marking pens, but someone told me you can use testors model pant is this true? the testors model paint I have is acrylic can I use this kind or not?

Default Re: marking queens

I use testor or oil paint. And a little push cage from Walters Kelly's
    David

yup, testor works good. I use to use some stuff called Artex, it was a ball point paint in a tube. pop the ball out, and you could squeeze out a nice drop just the right size. it was great. and came in about a bazillion colors. but I have not been able to find it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    I use to use some stuff called Artex, it was a ball point paint in a tube. pop the ball out, and you could squeeze out a nice drop just the right size. it was great. and came in about a bazillion colors. but I have not been able to find it for years.
    Found it on Ebay if you're interested..
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Oil base enamel lasts longer than the water based paints. I use testors model paint in the small bottles. I get a nail that is a little smaller in diameter than the bald spot on the queen's thorax and flatten the point. Then I get a second nail the same size and drive it through the cap of the bottle.

When the flattened nail is pushed down through the hole in the cap and removed the sides of the hole removes all the paint except the little bit on the flat end. When the flat end is touched to the thorax it makes a mark only as large as the diameter of the nail. The nail is stored in the hole and acts as a stopper. Oil base paint has an odor so it pays to cage the queen for 5 minutes or so while the paint dries and the odor leaves. A small bottle will last 2 years before it hardens and the price is not excessive, the hard part is finding a store that carries the model paint.

I like the marking pens from the bee supply places. It's easy to keep in your pocket, use and close while in the bee yards.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

A lot of hobby stores carry paint pens that will work. I get mine from Hobby Lobby, they have a nice assortment of colors. I tend to use the light version of the standard queen colors (light blue, light green, etc.) because I find it easier to spot, particularly on dark NWC queens.

I have been using the paint pens for a while now. The water based do not last nearly as long. I have gone to using mostly fluorescent colors which show up nicely. We use several colors based on the queens genetics not the year. Helping new beekeepers finding queens is easier when the queens have a nice hot pink dot on them.