Default Sturdy Plastic Queen Catcher Clip?

My new one from Mann Lake broke on the 2nd queen, my old metal one leaks. Is there a sturdy one supplied anywhere?

Default Re: Sturdy Plastic Queen Catcher Clip?

They are JUNK. Love the design though. They are JUNK though. Ive broken 2 out of the 3 i bought from Mannlake, they might need to find a better supplier huh?, one broke upon inspection from pulling out of my box of goodies
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton

Its sad, but its gotten to where everything pretty much is Chinese, lead infused garbage. I go out of my way ro buy American, if we would build it here it would cost 3x's more AND last about 15 years
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton

The two I got from mann lake are still going strong into their 3rd year. Guess they shipped me the odd ball clips
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Just got several from Dadant, and they seem pretty dang sturdy.... heavier than the last ones i had.

I started to purchase a shipment of these clips last year. the whole thing fell apart though. IN the process of that negotiation the supplier quoted me a price for one clip and then suddenly started claiming there was a better quality one at a higher price. That is the only claim I have ever heard of a heavier duty clip. At that time I considered it an attempt to jack up the price in the same clip.

I asked them to send samples of the two clips and they had an excuse about how they could not. Real story. there is only one clip. And it sucks.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I agree about the Dadant catcher - definitely more sturdy than any of the others I have seen.

I have both - there are two different versions. The standard one is pretty flimsy and gets broken or gunked up easy. The one I have from dadant is bigger, heavier, and works better. They are the only ones I know of selling them, but it is probably luck of the draw whether you get one or not depending on the stock on hand.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

It is a fragile design no matter how you look at it. I haven't broken any yet (not for lack of tossing into a bag or a pocket), but they are a pain to keep handy for when you might need one. I don't think I've used one in 3 years...once you get used to handling queens, it is easier to see them and pick them up. I can reliably grab a queen off a frame and hold her in the hollow of one fist while moving boxes and frames with both hands....and when she is in my fist it is easy to walk her into a proper cage.
    They are handy, I recommend them for everyone to have, but if you are confident in handling queens (which comes from practice handling queens), I doubt you will use it much....I don't.

deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

deknow, generaly your right, but they can be real handy for cutouts, or moving queens. For some reason queens never want to go in the box well for me and crawl around in my hand way to long.. I can and do poke them in head first, but even with a lot of experince at it I prefer to handle her as little as possible...

Daniel, sorry but there are at least 2 out there the Kellys one is light and somwhat flexible. the dadant I have is much stiffer and clear (kinda handy) but it may also end up being more brittle...... ( haven;t broke one yet) but only had them for a few weeks.

My fingers are a bit numb so it makes handling queens a bit hard. I use the catcher pretty regularly, or just shoo the queen into a marking tube. I also have the pipe style catcher which works ok if you can get her off the comb and up into the pipe. Usually takes two hands for me so someone else has to hold the frame. The clip is basically a one handed operation - one hand frame/one hand queen catcher.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

I did a cutout today and boy was I glad I had mine with me clipped to my shirt sleeve, that was one squirly queen. I thought about this thread when i finally got her though lol
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

I haven't broke mine I purchased from brushy Mtn last year yet. I would imagine they are all made by the same company though.