Default What is killing these hives? Have Pictures

Several hives have spotty brood patterns. The population is dropping on the hive in picture. May be other hives as well. When they should be booming, we are just finishing a flow.

Caught a nice size swarm gave it some drone brood from a healthy looking hive, Checked it a week later and it also has a spotty brood pattern now. The rope test with a tooth pick was not stringy. Milk test did not clear. No bad smells.
    Last edited by FlowerPlanter; 07-01-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Default Re: What is killing these hives? Have Pictures

This seems to be the year for shotgun pattern brood here in MO. Not sure what to think.
    No one famous.

Does this look like AFB or EFB?

Do you have yellow jasmine in your area? That's what my hives can look like when it is in bloom & the bees are bringing in it's pollen. It clears up once the YJ bloom is past....
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

I have not seen any yellow jasmine around here.

I am going to check the rest of my hives today, I fear it may have them all.
    My hives should have a robust right now, they are not even bearding. There was some robbing going on early spring from die out that may caused it to spread.
    One of my strongest hives died right after a very strong spring build up seemed to dwindle till it was robbed. A few other early spring robbing. The rest had a nice build up right before the flow. Now they just seem to maintaining or a very slow dwindle. These hive are in partial sun, they were here last year and did not have this problem.

I am thinking it could be EFB, in the pictures looks like some young dead brood at different ages. But not many bad capped brood. I have mostly plastic frames but when I check the rest I will get a sample and send it off.

I have more detailed pictures I can email.

I am frustrated with my bees also. Build-up has been slow this year. I know that our weather has been cooler, but the flowers, grass and trees have been doing GREAT with plenty of moisture.
    My two largest hives last year - now are only small but healthy hives.
    Two nucs that I fed over the winter (in my enclosed porch) are doing good but only have two brood boxes and do not yet need a super. They both superceded their year old queens - why?
    Mites ? I have fogged with FGMO and spearmint every two or three weeks.

I live on sixty acres in the middle of lots of pasture and woods - no farming in two miles and no other beekeepers.
    Charlie

13 hives - zone 5

Flower Planter;
    What have you done to treat for the varroa mites? Bee Parasitic Mite Syndrome (BPMS) often looks like EFB or AFB, except no ropiness.

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    Flower Planter;
    What have you done to treat for the varroa mites? Bee Parasitic Mite Syndrome (BPMS) often looks like EFB or AFB, except no ropiness.
    Ditto, and right now in this region we are in a dearth...... I had great buildups this year.... short season for nectar.

Thanks for your help AR
    I did oxalic vapor in the spring to the hive in the pictures. Not sure how effective it was, I did not see a large mite drop on the SBB.

In the pictures it appears there are young dead larva.
    Can mites kill the young larva? Before they are capped?
    Can they affect many hives in the spring during a flow right after a nice build up?
    One of the spotty brood pattern is a swarm's first weeks of brood?
    Several other swarms seem to have dwindling populations.

I have not done a mite count.
    I will check for mites tonight.

It is the viruses the mite carry that kill the larvae. The mites feed on the larvae and transmit the virus to them.

Often the larvae die in the curled stage, sometimes when the larvae starts to straighten out in the cell. The nurse bees remove the dead larvae and they become infected and they infect each other in food exchange and infect the larvae when they feed them. Some virsus may only be transmitted by the mite while others can pass from bee to bee. Because they are a virus no treatments work to kill them, although in the late 1990's Keith Delaplane did a study that showed if colonies had BPMS, feeding them terramycin helped the colony to survive with heavier body weights per bee.

In the 1990's bees had little resistance to the virsuses. A colony would overwinter, make a spring honey crop and them crash with BPMS. Now the bees have developed some resistance and may go 3 or more years with no evidence of BPMS. A honey bee colony will throw a swarm if the mite levels become very high and the bees carry the mites/viruses to their new home or into other colonies if the bees drift to other colonies. A colony that is not under stress may not show virsus damage until something stresses it and causes the virsuses to flare up.

Your post said you gave a caught swarm drone brood, that is a good way to pass the varroa from colony to colony since varroa prefeer drone brood to reproduce in. Put a sticky board below the colony if you are using screened bottoms, or do a sugar roll test if you have solid bottom boards and check your natural mite fall.

The dead brood in the colonies are both curled stage larvae and capped pupa? The dead, dry larvae and pupa, can you remove them easily with a match? If you can no big problem. If the capped pupa are rotting, but not stringing out, no big problem. If the scale has dried, but is easy to remove, no big problem.

Here is where I make a recommendation that probably will cause a blowout. If you decide the colonies will die without help I would use hopguard for the mites, I would treat with terrimycin/sugar for 3 weeks, and if you are not in a good honey flow, slow feed a heavy sugar syrup using a qt. jar with 1 or 2 holes in the lid. Put it over the hole in the inner cover and cover the jar with an empty super.

If your queens look like old, ratty winged bag ladies or if after the 1st or 2nd sugar/terramycin treatment the brood doesn't improve I would requeen. Don't let yourself be caught by fall, when it will be very hard to find queens.

>The dead brood in the colonies are both curled stage larvae and capped pupa?
    Not sure, there does not seem to be any dead capped brood. Looks like they are dying before that. The new swarm had a newly draw frame that looked like they remove the young larva before they finished drawing the cells and completed only the cells that were capped. The uncapped cells were empty and only 1/2 to 3/4 complete. (might tell they approximate age the lara were removed)

>The dead, dry larvae and pupa, can you remove them easily with a match?
    did not find any dried larva, I used a toothpick and they came out easy not stringy or rubbery the one hive I checked.

I read somewhere that EFB could be yellowish/brown, I did not see any yellow/brown dead larva, it looked shades of gray.

If it's BPMS what do I need to do to equipment and tools. I have another apiary that is in full sun that seems to be unaffected it is only one mile away. There are a few hives that should be doing better I need to look inside to check for the same brood pattern.
    Last edited by FlowerPlanter; 07-01-2013 at 04:02 PM.

I had similar patterns in a few of my hives. I chalked it up to EFB and it cleared itself up about 6 weeks ago. I added frames of brood from hives that were threatening to swarm to boost the populations. Fast forward, though they are not as strong as some of my hives that didn't have it, they're pulling honey very nicely. The heavy flow kicked in last week and I'm hoping it continues for a few more weeks.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

No need to do anything to equipment. The gray larvae, could they have chilled and died? Any cold snaps? If the adults are reduced there may be more larvae than they can care for.

Yes heavy mite load can kill brood just by its presenece..... DO a quick mite check...
    D Coates, whats flowing over there?? we are starving here... rains not helping much eaither...