Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Strafford County, NH
    Posts
    589

    Default Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    I'm getting sold on foundationless. I do have a lot of wax foundation sheets left tho.

    How do I convert a regular medium frame meant to hold wax foundation into foundationless? Can I use strips from the wax foundations I have now somehow, or just paint the top bar of the frame with melted wax? (The frames already have the wedge nailed in place, so I can't turn it on its side and glue it in)

    Can you do 100% foundationless in a hive, or is it best to alternate foundation/foundationless.

    Edit: Aha. I see. http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm

    "If the frame already had comb in it, you can just leave the top row of cells on the top bar for a guide."

    That might be my best option.
    Last edited by NewbeeInNH; 06-13-2013 at 07:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bertie County,NC
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    I have been doing what you are suggesting this year. I am sold, but it is a little challenging.

    If they are wedge top frames like mine, I take about a 1" x 6" piece of foundation and nail it in the frame with the wedge turned so it gives them a little guide. Then I use fishing line through the holes in the side for extra support. I have had a little trouble with building up from the bottom bar, so it is a little challenging, but I think the bees build exactly what they need....the right amount of brood, and beautiful white natural wax.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Macoupin,Illinois,USA
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    i just turn the wedge 90 degrees from the way its suppose to be and staple at the top it gives the bees a straight edge to start with,i dont wax them just put em in ,ive only had one frame that they drew out in a mess,out of 64 .just my 2cents.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Marshall county, AL
    Posts
    756

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    Do you guys wire the frames before the bees draw the comb? I'm guessing it would benefit from some support?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Strafford County, NH
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    Quote Originally Posted by NewJoe View Post
    If they are wedge top frames like mine, I take about a 1" x 6" piece of foundation and nail it in the frame
    That's what I would suspect, that if you make horizontal strips with your extra foundation sheets, maybe 1" long, and somehow nail them to the top of the frame, they would have that as a guide and work their way downward. I don't see how that wouldn't work, and you could get several strips out of one foundation sheet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bertie County,NC
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    That's what I would suspect, that if you make horizontal strips with your extra foundation sheets, maybe 1" long, and somehow nail them to the top of the frame, they would have that as a guide and work their way downward. I don't see how that wouldn't work, and you could get several strips out of one foundation sheet.
    That's exactly what I do....I have done thirty or more frames with less than two sheets of foundation.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    lee county, fl, usa
    Posts
    815

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrqb View Post
    i just turn the wedge 90 degrees from the way its suppose to be and staple at the top it gives the bees a straight edge to start with,i dont wax them just put em in ,ive only had one frame that they drew out in a mess,out of 64 .just my 2cents.
    This is how I did it too. I didn't wire anything and the only problem is the first year before they attach on top and bottom, you need to be careful when inspecting so it doesn't bend and fall out as you turn frames. If they are honey frames, same thing, first year be real careful while extracting. I hand crank so I've learned how slow to turn.
    Make sure hive level side to side.
    I"m not sorry I made the change, and did so early on so I saved alot of money not having to buy foundation.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nodaway, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    I cut my foundation into 1" strips and melted beeswax to pour in the grove to secure the strip into place. I have had success with and without fishing wire. I'm glad I'm making the switch to foundationless.
    You gotta risk it to get honey on your biscuit.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Greene, (Upstate) NY. The Great USA
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    I am new but have been running popsicle sticks as starters and then 30lb mono through the holes for support. So far so good! They seem to draw them out fast on the flow. As stated earlier I put a level on my boxes to be sure they will draw them straight down. i bought a lot of Mannlake small cell plastic. Have been using some of it with some extra wax I brushed on. The bees have drawn it well, BUT love to glue it the inner cover. Gonna eventually go all foundationless!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Strafford County, NH
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    I'm surprised all bee suppliers don't sell the option of foundationless frames with the 1/4" grip.

    I see Brushy Mountain is offering the small cell foundation, as some feel it might help in mite control.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    9,066

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    Haven't tried this but you could take out the bottom bar let them build comb to the top of the frame below and then shave off the excess so you can replace the bottom bar. They should attach it once there is no space between the comb and the bottom bar.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bertie County,NC
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Haven't tried this but you could take out the bottom bar let them build comb to the top of the frame below and then shave off the excess so you can replace the bottom bar. They should attach it once there is no space between the comb and the bottom bar.
    The only problem I see with this is that they would probably attach it to the frame below, and you could tear everything apart when you try to pull the frames apart.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    9,066

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    If they don't attach it to the bottom bar why would they attach it to the top of the top bar below the frame? I have read that they think it is the bottom of the hive which is why they don't attach it to the bottom bar in the first place unless there is already a piece of comb there.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greenville, TX, USA
    Posts
    4,341

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    Lately I've just been breaking out the wedge and calling it good. The bees build on the step left from the wedge.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Strafford County, NH
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    That sounds easy, Ross.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greenville, TX, USA
    Posts
    4,341

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    I used to rip top bars at a 45 degree angle, but the bees don't seem to care. They just need an edge to get started.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    KC, MO, USA
    Posts
    1,101

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Lately I've just been breaking out the wedge and calling it good. The bees build on the step left from the wedge.
    I have thought about that. Good to know that it works.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    965

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    If they don't attach it to the bottom bar why would they attach it to the top of the top bar below the frame? I have read that they think it is the bottom of the hive which is why they don't attach it to the bottom bar in the first place unless there is already a piece of comb there.
    They do attach it to the bottom bar if there is no floor beneath it.
    Put a shallow or medium frame in a deep brood box and you'll see it's true.

    I think it is their perceiving a bottom (whether it is a bottom board or the tops of the frames in a box below) that clues them to not build comb lower...not that the bar is on bottom of a frame.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    9,066

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beregondo View Post
    I think it is their perceiving a bottom (whether it is a bottom board or the tops of the frames in a box below) that clues them to not build comb lower...not that the bar is on bottom of a frame.
    I thought I was saying that.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    965

    Default Re: Can I turn my Brushy Mtn. frames into foundationless?

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I thought I was saying that.
    I'm sorry, I didn't understand that's what you meant, so trying to answer the question I thought you were asking.
    My bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads