Default Extra comb between lower and upper boxes

Just did a hive check 10 days after putting 2nd boxes with frames on a 1st year packages. Its been raining so
    held off a bit longer on checking them.

The bees have been building their own comb between frames on the lower and upper boxes with cells of honeycomb it looks like and covered with bees.
    In other words some of the frames between the lower and upper boxes are stuck together.

Should this comb be removed ?

Thanks for the input

1st year newb

Default Re: Extra comb between lower and upper boxes

I clean mine every time, otherwise you smash more bees when stacking boxes, & moving frames.
    Dan

A result of improper beespace. I would clean it off to avoid smashing bees when you set the top box back on. Also will smash open and drip honey all over everything below.

cchoganjr

Most but not all of the time it is where my bees build drone comb and I remove it anytime I lift or tilt the box for inspection. I pile it in a tin pan with a rock so the bees can clean whatever they want out of the scrapings.
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

Yes...Remove the excess. Scrape it into a bowl or something, but don't leave it in the bee yard, as it will attract ants and such. (Enjoy the honey, unless you fed them to no end, like many do, and it will be sugar water) How are your frames spaced? Tight through the 10 frames, and split the difference on the sides? Sounds like they may have too much space to go whacky on you....Keep the frames TIGHT. Split the difference on each side of the walls of the hive.
    Last edited by Bees In Miami; 06-27-2013 at 10:51 PM.

I saw a Japanese video in which they took a piece of fishing line or fine wire and slipped it in between the boxes from the side opposite to where they were standing, then pulled it through to slice through the attached comb before separating the boxes. Worked like a charm without breaking up the comb or destroying cells. Kinda like a cheese cutter.

I got as many bees off the comb as i could before running the hive tool across the bottom of the frames
    but still managed to trap a few of them in the sticky goo. The wire/fishing line trick sounds interesting.
    I know the bees were not happy about having their comb removed.
    Last edited by woodsy; 06-28-2013 at 12:32 PM.