Default Anyone with experience using 3 hive bodies for brood nests?

I have two new hives that have two hive bodies each nearly full of brood. Would a third hive body for the brood nest be a good idea to build up the hive for a cold mid-west winter? I have heard that this can make for a healthier hive. Any information would be appreciated.

Default Re: Anyone with experience using 3 hive bodies for brood nests?

Size of supers? We don't normally go over 2 deep supers for overwintering on the east coast. If hive is that strong this early in the year, we normally split them (just split one that sounds similar - 2 deeps & 2 shallow honey supers that are all getting full//great queen!). That gives them time to build up for winter. That said; we're just entering the best time of the year for the bees & normally have good pollen through Aug.

They are 10 frame deep boxes. The norm is 2 deep supers here, too, but a friend from the bee club indicated that it works well for him. He had no losses (15 hives) last winter and already has lots of honey in them this year.

I got several hives I plan to add another deep 8 frame, feed and then split when they have filled it. I overwintered all of my large hives in 2 deep 8 frame and did not lose any in that sized box. I overwintered 3 hives in a single 8 frame deeps where I made up from NUCs last summer. Well, those 3 hives just about produced more honey than the others.. I guess they were better genetics. I was blessed. I did not lose any over winter. Now all sorts of folks around me lost 20% + i hear....

I think most folks in area use 3 med 10 frame boxes to overwinter... or that seems to be the norm at the beek club meetings. I am guessing it goes off your area.

In that case, you'll likely have to add more room or they will swarm later in the summer. Mind you, we have carniolan bees & they swarm easily.
    We generally overwinter with 1 deep & 1 shallow - occasionally 2 deep (all 10 frame) & haven't had any losses since we started 2 years ago - likely beginners luck.
    We normally only feed in the fall as we don't extract after end August & the bees have lots of honey through the spring. We go with the theory that if you are feeding the bees they don't forage as well/the queen gets mixed messages & doesn't lay as well (not that I have any proof that that is correct).

I'm using deep 8's and usually use two for brood, but I have one in three at the moment. It was a really large swarm, and was expanding so fast, I decided to make the most of their urge to draw new comb.

Adam

I would think that using three deeps for the broodnest is overkill and will put a dent in your overall surplus honey production for hives set up that way. Having a healthier hive does not depend on how many brood boxes you use, it depends of keeping the mites under control. IMO, the most a good queen needs is a single deep with a medium, and many use just a single deep. John

Put on a third deep, but move all your nectar/honey frames up and put in new foundation in the boxes below to replace the frames so they can draw them out.

Bee Works in Ontario swears by the three deep method. http://www.beeworks.com
    Look under "fall management." http://www.beeworks.com/informationc...anagement.html
    ...and hey, let's be careful out there !

Dee Lusby also uses 3 deeps for brood.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I'm running all three mediums but had often run three deeps in the past. Sometimes two deeps and one medium. Later, I went to one deep and one medium. After all that, I figured out that in the height of the season they needed a lot of brood space. By mid summer and fall, they had "space" but not filled with brood. Today, I find that running the mediums gives me a fair amount of expansion space and a fair amount of flexibility. It is kind of a pain to inspect and mentally keep track of but it's nice to have all the same size boxes. All that said, if you need space......give it to them!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

My good hive was busting at the seams this spring. I put on a third 10 frame deep and moved 2 frames of brood up (to make sure they would occupy it) and now I have third deep that has 2 frames of brood and 8 deep frames of honey. It also has 2 medium boxes with honey as well. thats been my experiece with it.
    My blog and website: FromtheHive.org