Default what seed to plant

Hello from west central Indiana !

I am wanting to plant a hay field with stuff the bees are going to make a good honey crop from . I am also wanting to be able to make hay and turn cows out on it also . can someone give me some guidance on this matter. I am really interested in the sainfoin plant I read about in the March 2013 copy of American Bee Journal but I don't know if it will do good in this area. We want a mix that is good for cows and bees .

thanks Buzzzz

Default Re: what seed to plant

For cows and bees I would research sweet clover, white and yellow and alfalfa. Let it finish flowering before cutting.

There are allot of other bee plants you could seed along fence rows and ditches.

Vetch is good for erosion areas might not be so good for live stock, also noxious and invasive

Yellow sweet clover, just be careful it doesn't get moldy after its cut as it would be poisonous to cattle.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

if you donot cut yellow clover until after it runs it's nitrate cycle it will dry OKay. it takes 3 days after a rain to run the cycle. so simply do not cut until 3 days after the last rain, then it will dry fairly well.

I would plant alfalfa... and a few trees around the edge of the property. Be sure to let it bloom before cutting it. It should bloom twice a year. Good luck!
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a

The bees love my yellow sweet clover
    Charlie