Default Wedge top bar frames instead of groove top bar OK?

I bought some unassembled wood frames the other day and some black plastic Pierco foundation for them. The guy gave me wedge top bar and not groove top bar. Wedge is for wax right? Would it work or be OK to simply stuff the plastic in and ignore the fact I have wedge? Seems like that is an accident waiting to happen. Ill get the right stuff but still wondered, if I were in a bind, would this work. ??

Default Re: Wedge top bar frames instead of groove top bar OK?

Wedge top bars will work fine with the plastic foundation. Just mount the plastic foundation in the frame with the wedge just like you would all wax foundation. Another beekeeper gave me a box of the plastic Perma Dent foundation, but all of my frames are wedge style. I just popped out the wedges, inserted the foundation, and tacked the wedge in just like I do with all wax foundation. It will be less convenient to replace the foundation than it would be with grooved bars, but it will work.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work" -- Thomas A. Edison

Y I didnt really want to mess around with taking off the wedge and then nailing it back down. I should have been more clear.. Would it work to not remove the wedge and leave it alone? Not nail, not remove..

Yes. You're not building a piano. All it needs to do is hold it reasonable securely and the bees will take it from there. If the wedge breaks off you'll want to tack it down though.

I've done it with foundation, bees propolise it all up, you won't even know. Functionally they're the same as a groove top just be careful to not pop the cleat off when putting in the foundation.

Personally, I hate wedge top bar. I was sent 50 frames of wedge top bar mistakenly from the place I bought 50 mediums and 50 deeps frames of what was supposed to be all grooved top bar. After using them, I really don't like them. This of course is ONLY my 2 worth.