Hybrid View

Default When to add supers ?

Hello all. I am a new Beek living in very rural WV. Trying to do this with/by the book. So far pretty good I think. I have Carnies, 2 hives, and have already added the 2nd super. My question is, when to add the third ? Checked the hives this morning and one has all of the second hive made into combs but not filled. Do I go ahead at this time and add the queen excluder and super or do I let the frames start filling ?

Default Re: When to add supers ?

How many brood boxes per hive are you using ? Add more hive bodies when the one on top has filled 70-80 %...bees everywhere...covering the top of most frames when you open it.. I use two deep boxes for brood..then medium supers for honey....good luck ...enjoy

Yup, when hit hit 75-80% capacity in your last box (8 frames out of 10 showing regular activity) its time to add the next one.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

Thanks for the help. I've added another hive body with queen excluder. What I have is a deep and medium for the brood. I'm using shallows for the honey boxes for a couple reasons. One is weight and the other is one of my grandchildren, who is nine is actually showing interest.

Some would say to not use an excluder....bees sometimes don't like go tnrough them....I've never used them....

I've kinda understood there is a 50/50 split on that thought. Installed one today and will give it through the weekend and will check on Monday. I'll make sure to post back what I find. The few area BKs that are around use them here. One fella has Italians and they do ok. I'm on a very big learning curve right now and everything is fascinating to say the least. One hive is very strong and the other not so much. Started both at the same time and is interesting to see the difference between the two. I think I will get deep into the weaker hive on Monday and check on the Queen and see how she is laying. Didn't notice a lot of Drones so I will just see what I can see