Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Uncapped worker pupae

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  sqkcrk 
#1 ·
During a quick inspection of a hive late yesterday evening I noticed several uncapped worker pupae. Rain was threatening so I didn't have a lot of time to take a close look but I saw at least 5-10 uncapped pupae in a small area of a single frame. The pupae looked pearlescent white and healthy with their eyes just starting to darken. Anyone else saw this before or know why the bees would do this?

#4 ·
I went to The Encyclopdeia of Beekeeping and it says that this uncapping of pupae by the bees is an inherited characteristic which seems to be inherited by only some of the bees in a colony. It's caused by genetic factors. The uncapped cells are usually in a clump or nearby each other.

If the uncapping seems to be in a straight line of cells this is because of a wax moth larvae burroughing thru cells under the cappings and the bees opening cells attempting to get to the wax moth.

Both cases not usually detrimental to the colony.

#5 ·
I just read the same in various places with the addition of varoa.. Apparently overly hygenic bees will kill the entire colony is some cases trying to remove infected brood... My brood pattern looked pretty good other than the 1 bald brood so im not overly concerned.. Its much easier to find information now that i have a name for the occurence

#9 ·
Yea that was the point. It may be that the bees can take a varroa mite out of the cell. Off the pupae while it is still alive and not affect it's development.

Yet the wax moth tracks sound likely too because last summer i had some split too thin and it seemed that, that was the case. they tore out the tracks and repaired everything later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.