Default Hive Swarmed - here are my plans now---need feedback

I had a 5-frame nuc that built up very well. I was just about to take a super off this week when the hive swarmed. So now, here are my plans. I would like some feedback/comments if you can.

1. remove super and harvest
    2. get them down to two deep
    3. treat for mites with hopguard. I figure that since there are no brood this is the best choice. And, I know the mite load per bee just went up significantly after the swarm.
    4. keep them to two deeps until they have built up enough for winter.

questions....is one treatment of hopguard enough? I know they recommend three treatments but that's because it does not work on mites in capped cells. Since there are no capped brood is one treatment enough?

question...is it a good time to take some queen cells and make a nuc from one of my stronger hives? This might be a little too late, starting this in July.

Any other comments?

Default Re: Hive Swarmed - here are my plans now---need feedback

Quote Originally Posted by khaas15 View Post
    I had a 5-frame nuc that built up very well. I was just about to take a super off this week when the hive swarmed. So now, here are my plans. I would like some feedback/comments if you can.

1. remove super and harvest
    2. get them down to two deep
    3. treat for mites with hopguard. I figure that since there are no brood this is the best choice. And, I know the mite load per bee just went up significantly after the swarm.
    4. keep them to two deeps until they have built up enough for winter.

questions....is one treatment of hopguard enough? I know they recommend three treatments but that's because it does not work on mites in capped cells. Since there are no capped brood is one treatment enough?

question...is it a good time to take some queen cells and make a nuc from one of my stronger hives? This might be a little too late, starting this in July.

Any other comments?

I would not think it's too late if you can split it strong. It may have to overwinter as a nuc, but that shouldn't be a problem here, I started out with a locally overwintered 8 frame Med Nuc This will also double your chance of getting a mated queen if one fails to mate you can later re-combine, and if it just doesn't get big enough you can later re-combine.

I guess it depends what you are after...bees agenda or your agenda.

Since they swarmed, they will get a brood break. They need to mate their new queen...then, she'll start laying...maybe.
    Not sure how the flow is there, but for all that, they might need some reserves. If you plan on overwintering this nuc, and want to build it up again ( it will lose some population by the time the new queen is laying), you might want to let it get the new queen laying good and then re asses.
    If honey is just packed in that nuc super, you sure could take some...
    If the nuc has a lot of population, and still a lot of capped brood after they swarmed, you could split it in two maybe, and have two nucs going forward. Divide the reserves between them, instead of harvesting.

Talking about treatment...have you checked for the mite levels ? If yes, by what means?
    Nucs are pretty resilient especially, first year nucs...with a new, young queen. I am not saying you don't have mites, but I would check and asses first, before I would consider treatment. So, seeing what the actual mite situation is, would be my first step, before I'll think what to use for Tx, and what protocol I would use.

On the making a new nuc...I don't think it is too late. Drones are still flying in your area, yes? I'd say yes, since they are swarming...
    Flow might be more important, but, you can compensate for that by feeding and being careful with robbing. You mention taking Q cells from one of your stronger hives....are you pushing the stronger hive into the swarming mode, or they just built those cells by themselves?
    I mean, is the cell building process under your control? If not, then those Q cells might be a sign of swarming. Nothing wrong with either one, just be aware and act to your best interest.

Lots of options that's for sure. Good luck!

the way I understood it, he's pulling a queen cell from the hive that swarmed and pulling frames of brood from a strong colony that hasn't swarmed.

You might be right Harley.

I guess I interpreted his question... "is it a good time to take some queen cells and make a nuc from one of my stronger hives?"as taking cells from a stronger hive.
    But, it is also possible that the cells would come from the nuc that swarmed...if by now there are any left unhatched...or alive, if a first virgin emerged did not kill them. For sure, it could go either way.
    But, the longer he waits on the nuc that swarmed, the less chances would remain for those Q cells he mentions.

I guess he'll tell us more .

some clarification. I started with a five-frame nuc and built it up to a two deep hive with one super. This hive swarmed.

OK, so would the source of Q cells you speak of, be this hive that swarmed?
    If yes, then if you do decide to make a nuc, you need to do it ASAP. Also, being that it was a strong hive, and it swarmed...multiple Q cells are present. Which could prompt the hive to throw afters warms headed by virgins...that is why you need to get into it sooner rather than later.