Default any homemade bee repellents to get bees out of the hive?

I have a log that has bees in it. I have been working a trap out for almost three weeks, but there are still bees in the log.
    The log is in the upright position just as it was when it was part of a tree.
    Is there any homemade product that would make the bees want to excite the log?
    Would turning the log on it's side make them want to move?

Default Re: any homemade bee repellents to get bees out of the hive?

I don't think the bees will leave so long as there is open brood in the log. I don't know of any home made bee repellents for bees, but there are a couple to be gotten from bee supply stores.

Trap outs can take months. Three weeks is nothing! You won't get them out of that tree with repellent or smoke. Be patient with them. It will take time.

Editing to add...I am assuming you want to KEEP the bees? You can get them to abscond, but they won't stick around. So, you want this as an additional colony? Or, just want to get rid of them?
    Last edited by Bees In Miami; 06-26-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Put the log on it's side, I've seen bees abscond for that very reason, so you might get them out that way.... Just be sure they don't end up in your chimney

I'll defer to those who have better knowledge of bee behavior, as well as the experience that serves as a basis for good advice. But, the chemist in me notes that one of the products used to chase bees out of honey supers smells a lot like almond oil.

Again, stated more clearly, I have very limited experience with bees and zero experience with trapouts. You should listen to those with actual experience. Personally, I would not try to use almond oil on a colony in a log. I may try it at some point in the future, but only after I have a few established colonies in wooden hives that can be ventilated. Oh, and honey in supers.
    Pete. New 2013, 3 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

Benzaldehyde is the stuff that smells like almonds and is what is sold as artificial almond flavoring. Butyric acid is the stuff sold as "Bee Go" or "Honey Robber" etc. and it smells like the essential oil of vomit...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Butyric acid is the stuff sold as "Bee Go" or "Honey Robber" etc. and it smells like the essential oil of vomit...
    I call that wife-go. My wife go nuts when I come home after extracting supers. Spill some in the driveway and you will understand. Months of wisps of vomit until it subsided enough.