Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Queen breeders will this work?

My question is not about the bee stuff...which all looks great...it is about the domed enclosure.

Is it plastic, is tearing an issue, how is it with wind and who makes them, where to get them and did you put it up or have contractors do it?

So many questions but it looks so useful.

Thanks

Instead of wooden box type hive frame dummies could one use thick styrofoam cut to the right shape.

Foam is a great idea, and I'd glue thin planks onto the sides and a full top bar anyways for added durability. I usually don't bother with the foam because its a lot more setup, and I already have the jigs and fixtures to make hollow box hive dummies, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from using styrofoam in a hive dummy. They are great tools to add to your repertoire. With a small modification, you can make a wooden frame feeder from most of the same jigs and fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    My question is not about the bee stuff...which all looks great...it is about the domed enclosure.

Is it plastic, is tearing an issue, how is it with wind and who makes them, where to get them and did you put it up or have contractors do it?

So many questions but it looks so useful.

Thanks
    The top is framed out of wood like a normal tele cover. Instead of metal on the top I have a stock pile of roofing rubber. It is the stuff they use on flat top buildings for the roof. It don't rip and is not real easy to cut with a utility knife. It is not real light but not real heavy. It weighs little more then metal would. But at over 5ft long I take it on and off by myself no problem. I built the whole thing myself and this year I just set it on one of my 8ft hive stands. Over the winter I plan to build 5 or 6 more and plan to put them on legs so they are free standing. I may also take a little more time on the paint job on the next ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12