Default Ounce of honey vs fluid ounce

Is it legal to label honey as 1 pint....meaning 16 fluid ounces? Many products are sold this way.

Default Re: Ounce of honey vs fluid ounce

I don't know if it's illegal per se (depends on your state I think) but it's not really right to do it. Honey is sold in all shapes and sizes, and as such, to sell it by a fluid volume may be hard to prove. After all, how many lbs are in a honey bear?

IMHO honey should always be sold by the weight. Honey weighs 12 lbs/gallon, so a pint weighs in at 1.5 lbs. I sell in half pint, pint, and quart jars, but I always make it clear to the customer, they are getting .75, 1.5, or 3 lbs respectively.

Think also about selling chunk comb honey. The comb is far less dense than honey, so again, if you sold it by the liquid volume you'd be inaccurate. Now, in the case of comb honey, it typically sells at a premium over liquid honey as it's not as common. So he loss in weight due to comb volume is far replaced by the value of the overall commodity.

For reference, I've seen a 4 lb jar of honey marketed for $30. On the same volume jar, they dropped in a chunk of comb honey, and filled the rest with liquid honey, and sold it for $40! A $10 markup just for the "novelty".
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

If you are in Tennessee, read this document:
    https://utextension.tennessee.edu/pu...nts/pb1399.pdf

There is more in that document than you need, but it does cover your questions. Note in particular there is section on "not licensed domestic kitchens".

Label your honey with "weight" ounces or pounds, not "fluid" ounces.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

In Ohio, it would be legal to put 16 fl. oz. on a jar as long as it also had the weight in ounces and grams.
    Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company. -Mark Twain