Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Green Drone Frames

WLC, ok I got you, wasn't sure if you were referring to my last post or not. John

rwurster, as of now the only break we get is when we provide a brood break, or the queen shuts down for the year, in which case the mites then jump on the adults. John

Quote Originally Posted by bid View Post
    Bolter, do you put the green boards in any certain position? Do you like them in the lower or the upper hive body?
    We keep them in the lower super, generally pos'n 3 or 8 (10 frame super).
    Last edited by bolter; 06-29-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by bolter View Post
    We like the green boards - have 2 per hive labelled with hive #. Take one out, put 1 in, store the full one in freezer. Use a calendar so that we don't forget to rotate before they hatch out & generally rotate a bit early (when it is a nice day). Mite count has been extremely low - use alcohol wash method - count of 2 & 3 in our 2 hives last Aug.
    Hey there,
    I use two in each of our hives as well, we run with two deeps. It seems to work well for us, its alittle more work manipulating the frames, but we want to remain treatment (chemical) free. We have them placed in position #3 or #7. I think we could get away with only using one per hive to be honest, because they do tend to use them for honey at times. I think its best if one can simply swap the frames out, we don't have the extra ones to do that, so end up going back into the hive two days later to replace that frame. Just this week, we couldn't get back soon enough and lots of new comb built in that empty space. Might be time to purchase those spares.

I use 1 on each hive in the 3 to 7 position in the top deep. Every 21 days I remove, replace, and freeze. I do 5 hives at a time and drop the nuc size box in the freezer. The next day or week, depending on the cluster's cycle (5 hives per cluster)I remove the fresh capped frame, scratch open the frozen (now thawed) frame, replace for them to clean out and refill and close the hive up. I do this from April 1st to mid May then leave them alone. I start it back up after the July 4th harvest until they stop laying drones in Sept.

It's fast and it at the very least slows the mite numbers. When I do this after the early July harvest I also put in Hopguard when I remove the drone frames to get any mites that are out of the cells. Is it perfect? Nope, but my overwintering success did improved dramatically.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12