Sad Started with 2 Hives...Am Losing One...What now?

I started my adventure with beekeeping on 4/14/13..so I am 10 weeks into it. One hive is thriving, the other dying. Bought a new queen for the dying hive, and the bees did not even chew their way into the queen cage to let her out. I am just gonna let the dying hive perish and start another package in the spring of 2014.

Anyone have any ideas on why the new queen and her attendants were just left in the queen cage by the bees in the hive?

Sad

Default Re: Started with 2 Hives...Am Losing One...What now?

Did you remove the cork?

Yes...

One theory seems to be that I have a queen in there already (though I cannot find her) and therefore the bwws are ignoring her...

Well, if the other hive is thriving...why not take two frames of capped/emerging brood with the adhering bees ( make sure the queen is not on one of those frames), give them the new queen you bought, and let them accept her and start a new family.
    During this time, you can also observe your weak hive, and maybe give it a frame of eggs/uncapped brood. If they have a queen in there, nothing will happen, other than they will get a boost. If they do not have a queen, they will start one...at least.
    Once they do, and confirm to you that indeed are queen less, destroy those cells, and unite with a paper combine with the new nuc/family you started with the purchased queen. They will be rocking in no time...providing the new queen is not a dud, and you also feed some if flow is not present in your area.
    The only other way they will not start Q cells is if they have developed laying workers...but, if you inspect the hive, and look for it, there might be a solution for that also.
    You have the resources, and it will be a great learning experience either way it goes.
    Good luck!

Thanks!!

I am gonna try another new queen...if they accept her, I will add brood from the thriving hive.

So, here we go...week 11 of my beekeeping adventure....

Quote Originally Posted by William Farmer View Post
    Yes...

One theory seems to be that I have a queen in there already (though I cannot find her) and therefore the bwws are ignoring her...
    I know it is hard, but you really have to find the old queen before you re-queen.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

I understand...have ordered new queen..will be here Friday AM...I am just going to have to find the old queen IF there IS one.....

Those doggone bees....they are truly amazing little creatures....

William we have alot in common.
    1- I too started keeping bees this year
    2- Started with 2 packages on April 13
    3- 1 Hive thriving
    4- having issue with the other

here is where we difffer.
    1- One of my hives swarmed
    2- I now have 3 hives

When you look inside do you see any eggs or lavae? Dont need to actually see the queen just her signs of doing her thing.

I belive my hive that swarmed and the remaining bees are not doing so good its been almost 2 weeks and I see no signs of a queen.

I am going to add a frame of capped brood and nurse bees from my thriving hive to give them a boost.

So we newbies have alot in common and lots to learn

Yes...thank you for your thoughts...we "new bees" DO have a lot to learn.

I will continue to fight for the decaying hive...I want to see it survive...as you can appreciate, I'm sure!

I have better luck not smoking. When I looking for a queen, new beek here

Quote Originally Posted by William Farmer View Post
    Thanks!!

I am gonna try another new queen...if they accept her, I will add brood from the thriving hive.

So, here we go...week 11 of my beekeeping adventure....
    Sorry, but you are going about it back to front and highly likely queen number 2 will also be lost.

Apis Maximus gave good advise.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).