Default Bees acting very strange...

I am a new beekeeper. I installed 3 packages in April of 2013...2 langstroth hives and 1 top bar hive. In May I caught a swarm and put it into a langstroth hive as well. The hives seem to be very strong. So with 4 hives in the yard we have lots of activity but there has never been an issue with bees around the house, garage, pool...etc. Last weekend my husband was in the garage getting some tools and he noticed aprox. 60 bees on an a hive top feeder that had never been used. They were flying around him in a way that made him nervous and he lit a smoker to clear the area and get his tools. By the time I got home they weren't there but I did see bees flying in and out of the garage. They weren't landing...just flying in circling around and flying back out. So it seems that every evening they are acting pretty bazaar. Yesterday we had bees congregated at the back door (maybe 12), I was unloading groceries and left my car door open, when I went back to shut it there were 10 or so flying around in my car. They fly up to us and just circle us or land on our clothes. I watch them trying to figure out what they are doing but I can't figure it out! It just seems that they are confused. Has anyone experienced this?

Default Re: Bees acting very strange...

Have you checked inside the hives recently?

> The hives seem to be very strong

Perhaps some of the hives are sending out scouts to look for a new home for a potential swarm. That could explain their interest in the hive top feeder.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

I'm in my first year of beekeeping, but this looks similar to what i saw when one of my hives swarmed on me. there were bes kind of hovering enar "potential homes" for a few days, and then the hive swarmed. Have you seen any queen cells in recent hive checks>?

Sounds like they are hungry.... looking real hard and smelling things... I notice it a lot around the shop during a dearth... bees investigating everything..

I haven't been able to go into the hives in the last few days. I did start feeding them again when I noticed their behavior. I am going to inspect the hives tonight and I'll be sure to report on what I see. Thanks so much!