Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: how do you get your frames cleaned out after extracting?

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    do not use moth crystals>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!! They are bad for bees>>>>
    The ones I buy from Brushy Mountain that are designed for use on frames are bad or bees? I would use the chemical names for them but I'd hack the spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by beedeetee View Post
    I don't let them clean them out any more. I put them away wet and take them out wet the next spring. The bees move right in and generally have all of the cells in perfect condition in one or two days.
    I have a big top-lid freezer I use to store berries in early June and then it sits idle for the rest of the year. If I use your approach to just store the wet frames after extraction, would I have to turn the freezer on or is the air-tight seal good enough to keep them safe and fresh until Spring? In other words, do the wet frames require any type of chilling while they are in storage? If (hopefully) not, I'll put them in big trash bags to keep the residual honey off the freezer floor and open it back up in the winter.
    Started beekeeping in 2013 and having a blast with my 10 small cell hives!!

If its from a bee house your good. But typical "moth crystals" are not the same and are bad....

as for storing wet supers, in my neck I would be scared to death shb would take them over and slime everything.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    If its from a bee house your good. But typical "moth crystals" are not the same and are bad....

as for storing wet supers, in my neck I would be scared to death shb would take them over and slime everything.
    Just curious, but if I put them in large trash bags and then into an air tight freezer in my shop, which is 9 feet off the ground (I neglected to mention I live in a stilt home), how would the SHB even find them, let alone get into the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by barberberryfarm View Post
    In other words, do the wet frames require any type of chilling while they are in storage?
    The fact that they are wet with honey doesn't change how you store them. If you have wax moth or SHB problems, that won't change. If you put them in plastic bags, I would think that you might see some mold from air moisture condensing on the boxes and frames during the colder winter weather. I just stack them on carts or on several sheets of newspaper to make a seal along the floor. I use excluders and have not had brood in my supers (mostly, I have had wax moths attack them years ago when I didn't use excluders). Freezing for a few days would probably pretty much guarantee no pests bothering your supers.

The fact that they are wet with honey doesn't change how you store them. If you have wax moth or SHB problems, that won't change. If you put them in plastic bags, I would think that you might see some mold from air moisture condensing on the boxes and frames during the colder winter weather. I just stack them on carts or on several sheets of newspaper to make a seal along the floor. I use excluders and have not had brood in my supers (mostly, I have had wax moths attack them years ago when I didn't use excluders). Freezing for a few days would probably pretty much guarantee no pests bothering your supers.
    Cool! Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely try that with my supers.

I don't let them clean them out any more. I put them away wet and take them out wet the next spring. The bees move right in and generally have all of the cells in perfect condition in one or two days.
    Exactly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12