Default Bees and orthene_ Help please

My neighbor grows tobacco. This year the tobacco is pretty close to my hives. I keep about 25 hives here close to my house. Should I move them all or is there a way to deal with this without having to move them all? ( spray at night , ext..) Please let me know if you have any experience or any suggestions regarding this matter. Thanks for the time
    John

Default Re: Bees and orthene_ Help please

How well do you know your neighbor? Can you talk? Find out his plans and explain your situation. Maybe he will be accomodating and spray when winds are away from you or at night.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

I've had my hives near tobacco w/o problems. Are you worried about the drift when he sprays? They get pretty close to the plants so unless it's very windy it won't be a problem. Probably wouldn't spray in a lot of wind anyway. The bees will only go to the plants when it blooms and usually, at least here, they top them. Whatever he plants he is going to spray regardless. If your hives are on the edge of the field I'd worry, if not within 50 yards +/- I wouldn't worry about it. You could talk to him about spraying that field late evening just to see what happens.
    Fines are taxes for doing wrong. Taxes are fines for doing right.

Guys I really appreciate the input. So are you saying as long as it is not windy when he sprays and there is not a drift I should be OK? He is a great neighbor and would probably accommodate with spraying when wind is down or late evening. Do you think that will be ok? I really appreciate the input.
    John

If your hives are on the edge of the field they will be affected. If not, it kinda depends on when he sprays. Your bees won't go to the tobacco until it blooms. They have no reason to. Around here they wait until most of the field has the flowers and they cut the tops(flowers) off. I'm sure they do there too. I might just talk to him about wind direction, time of day and such. I'm sure he'll have no problem working with you. After all it's still agriculture. Might be nicer to you if you sweeten the deal, so to speak, with a big 'ol jar of honey.
    Fines are taxes for doing wrong. Taxes are fines for doing right.

With my very limited experience with tobacco plants in my garden the only pests that I had to spray for was worms which I used BT. BT will not harm the bees, but I would ask to find out for sure what they will be spraying.

Well, if bees are sprayed with orthene it will kill them. It sounds like he will spray at night. If there is bearding on the hives those bees could be at risk.

How close is the field? Unless you hives are right on the edge of the field they should be safe at night as long as there isn't spray drift into the bee yard.

Tom

We have soybeans and green beans planted by our hives. The growers give us 24 hour notice before they spray and then we close them up in the evening with a piece of sheet rock corner molding cut to fit the entrance (this idea was given to us by a very nice person on Beesource!). It works well but stand back when you remove the molding the next day, they come rolling out at a fast rate!! If the girls are bearding in the evening when we go to close them up we use a mister on our hose and make them think it is raining and this normally makes them all go in. Hope this helps!