Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: How do some guys go without any kind of protective gear what so ever?

I don't think there should be any shame in admitting that the danger is a draw too. High altitude mountaineering, scuba diving, skiing, riding a dirt bike, sky diving, etc.... all probably more dangerous than going without a suit (unless you are allergic) and they are mostly about the rush of facing danger. Nothing wrong with that imo.

Default Re: How do some guys go without any kind of protective gear what so ever?

That is never the reason I go w/out gloves or a veil. I don't see any thrill in doing so. Little to any danger either. There is more danger in driving to the apiaries, imo.

I go w/out gloves when I can because I like the tactile feel and the grip, knowing I have what I am holding well in hand. I feel as though I can hold onto what I am holding better. And, if I ever wish to pick up a queen w/out gloves I can and w/ them I can't.

I go w/out a veil when I can for reasons of comfort and being able to see what I want to w/out that screen in front of my eyes.

Standing 16 or 18 feet up on top of a semi load of beehives spreading the net, spreader boards and straps is thrilling. Standing on the ground beside a beehive, w/out veil or gloves, is not.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

> Standing 16 or 18 feet up on top of a semi load of beehives spreading the net, spreader boards and straps is thrilling.

If the hive load on the truck you are standing on is 16 or 18 feet high, your bees will likely be in for a most interesting
    journey, starting at a nearby bridge!

Clearances on different routes vary, but on loads that exceed 13 ft 6 inches (standard minimum bridge clearance) drivers need to take extra special care. For 16 to 18 ft high loads oversize permits ($$$$) will almost certainly be required.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 06-29-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I usually wear my full suit, but mainly because I tend to wear dark clothes, and my bees do NOT like dark colors. It's just faster to throw on the suit than it is to change.

I have Beeweavers (not the gentlest bees, but not aggressive. They're what I like: willing to mix it up to defend the hive, but they don't gang up or follow you around the bee yard) and have started to work them without gloves- only stung once. I think the fact that I dont have gloves on forces me to be extra careful about where I put my hands. This in turn means I am VERY gentle with the frames and I think, overall, that goes a long way towards not disturbing the bees and causing problems.

I always smoke them.
    Zone 8a at 4300ft. Langstroth. 4 Hives. AHB region.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    > Standing 16 or 18 feet up on top of a semi load of beehives spreading the net, spreader boards and straps is thrilling.

If the hive load on the truck you are standing on is 16 or 18 feet high, your bees will likely be in for a most interesting
    journey, starting at a nearby bridge!

Clearances on different routes vary, but on loads that exceed 13 ft 6 inches (standard minimum bridge clearance) drivers need to take extra special care. For 16 to 18 ft high loads oversize permits ($$$$) will almost certainly be required.

It must not be as high as it seems. I'm sure you are correct.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    That is never the reason I go w/out gloves or a veil. I don't see any thrill in doing so. Little to any danger either. There is more danger in driving to the apiaries, imo.

I go w/out gloves when I can because I like the tactile feel and the grip, knowing I have what I am holding well in hand. I feel as though I can hold onto what I am holding better. And, if I ever wish to pick up a queen w/out gloves I can and w/ them I can't.

I go w/out a veil when I can for reasons of comfort and being able to see what I want to w/out that screen in front of my eyes.

Standing 16 or 18 feet up on top of a semi load of beehives spreading the net, spreader boards and straps is thrilling. Standing on the ground beside a beehive, w/out veil or gloves, is not.
    I agree and go without (as of recently) for the same reasons. That said, it seems some people think it is foolhardy, to which I would reply that any number of sports are much more dangerous. And as you pointed out, driving itself is a very risky activity - close to 40k Americans die in automobile accidents every year. I think by comparison, we are relatively safe by the hive, without a veil.

If you get killed by bees it will make national news. If you get killed in a car accident it is unlikely it will make national news.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456