Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: How do some guys go without any kind of protective gear what so ever?

Quote Originally Posted by ralph3 View Post
    Based on what I've seen and experienced. It's 100% genetic/pheromone influenced trait. I keep mine in the front yard. I can't allow anything other than gentle.

Size of the hive only makes a difference if they are mean to begin with. three frames of bees with the same queen mother will act just like 30 frames of bees with the same queen being the mother. Sometimes even with workers that are not her offspring. If I have to use smoke and a veil. I kill the queen. If I have to use smoke. I'll kill them this fall and combine with the nicer ones.

No tellin how long this selection process will take. I've got about 30ish queens mated out here this year and only three of them can be worked without smoke. I have one stacked three mediums high and one four. The four high one is well packed with bees. Not an issue. I can tear the whole hive down and spend as much time as I want in there. I shook about two pounds of bees out of it to help out other hives newly mated the other day. Cracked the box open 24 hours later. Still nice.

Test the bees at the entrance first. Wave your hand slightly in front. If they ignore you. Crack the lid. If a few run out and bump your hand or bounce off of you then you may want a veil. Or reaching for the frames if you notice them come out and bounce on you hands you might want gloves unless you can tolerate getting stung. The ones of mine that hit my hands when reaching for frames. The use of smoke usually stops that behavior enough to work them without protection of any kind. If not I kill the queen and shake them out forcing them to beg into a nicer hive.
    How many queens have you killed so far w/ your no smoke/no veil criteria?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Default Re: How do some guys go without any kind of protective gear what so ever?

In the 10 years I have kept bees the best advice I got from an old beekeeper was to get rid of your beesuit. At first I would get stung alot but after awhile when you learn to read the bees and how to work with them stings are alot less common. I only own a veil now and the last time I used that was when I did a cut out. I was down in GA last week learning from Fatbeeman, his bees are like any other bees. Remember bees smell fear.....

I usually have 4 to 10 hives next to each other in any given location and I can get away with no protection with most of them buy there's usually one or two in each yard that just absolutely insist I wear a veil.

I also notice that when I wear my "reader" sunglasses to find eggs they tend to try to sting around my eyes. Anyone else notice that?
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Part of it may be that some people have little to no reaction to bee stings, even multiple stings.

I wish my body worked like that. Yeah I know, take more stings, build immunity yada, yada, yada. That approach simply dont work for me.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by WilliesHoneyCo View Post
    In the 10 years I have kept bees the best advice I got from an old beekeeper was to get rid of your beesuit. At first I would get stung alot but after awhile when you learn to read the bees and how to work with them stings are alot less common. I only own a veil now and the last time I used that was when I did a cut out. I was down in GA last week learning from Fatbeeman, his bees are like any other bees. Remember bees smell fear.....
    Really....they can smell fear?

I would always advise wearing a veil. During honey flows the bees are very easy to work. Slow and deliberate works best. As the season progresses, I find the need to wear gloves in the fall when they get super defensive preparing for winter.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    Really....they can smell fear?

I would always advise wearing a veil. During honey flows the bees are very easy to work. Slow and deliberate works best. As the season progresses, I find the need to wear gloves in the fall when they get super defensive preparing for winter.
    Smelling fear is an interesting term...... your body gives off a very different odor when alarmed..... Its how police dogs can track a bad guy thru a bunch of not bad guys....

I don't know if bees pick that up, but its there......

As for setting a bad example by going suitless or veiless. videos done in full gear tend to be poor audio quality. so its real hard to make a good video with full gear......

As for the bees... depends LOT on flow and weather.....as already mentioned many times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmmtjFgdqz8

You only see the Videos that worked, the ones of "The Beekeepers Dance" are on the cutting room floor.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

I'll approach bees without gear, I'll look at hives from the outside, and I'll approach a clustered swarm to take a look. But as soon as I am actually messing with them at all, I'm at least covering my head.

Whenever I see people advocating no gear, I think of Timothy Treadwell

He lived among the Grizzly Bears in Alaska for 13 summers. Played with them; hung around with them. Guided Tourists up there and refused to carry pepper spray or put an electric fence around his campsite.

He appeared on David Letterman and Dateline. His story was very compelling. He suggested the bears were just misunderstood and had a whole lot of people wanting to hug-a-bear...

...until he and his girlfriend got killed and partially eaten by one.

Shook out 4 packages in April and may no problem. They didn't have hive or honey to protect so no problem. Their all prob. Quadrupled in size now, I always wear a veil and just nitrile gloves no smoke on langs and definitely no smoke on tbh's. only open 1 bar space. They peek out but that's it. Tbh's now has 21 bars drawn. Monty inmarquette

Quote Originally Posted by julysun View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmmtjFgdqz8

You only see the Videos that worked...
    This one is interesting at 1:20.
    How much "fear" do you think they'd be smelling if he wasn't wearing any gear when he opened that hive?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    Smelling fear is an interesting term...... your body gives off a very different odor when alarmed..... Its how police dogs can track a bad guy thru a bunch of not bad guys....
    I would politely disagree with that statement about police dogs and how they track. I don't wish to hijack the thread however. I would also add, some people handle tarantulas with nary a problem. as for me? I have several and I just don't feel like taking the risk. their brains are very small. I do work my bees most of the time bare handed. I always wear a veil at a minimum, simply because I would find it hard to scrape a stinger out of my eye area when I can't see it. Some things are worth protecting, even if the risk is minimal.

My ranting did go a bit off topic...sorry

When we were in the ER after my wife had a blood infection from a sting, I asked the Doctor about the theory of more stings/less treatment helping to reduce the impact of bee venom. As if a person develops more tolerance, assuming they don't die in the process of repeated stings. He said it sounded silly to him as he looked at the red line running up my wifes arm.

Bees can smell fear? Really. Did that come out of a University somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    Part of it may be that some people have little to no reaction to bee stings, even multiple stings.

I wish my body worked like that. Yeah I know, take more stings, build immunity yada, yada, yada. That approach simply dont work for me.

While most of my eight hives are very gentle and are unlikely to sting me, I always wear at least a veil if I open a hive. Only took one sting on my nose to teach me that. I don't understand this comment: "I also notice that when I wear my "reader" sunglasses to find eggs they tend to try to sting around my eyes. Anyone else notice that?" - Why risk getting stung near your eyes??

I am amazed at how Fatbeeman is able to work his. In some videos he does get stung and it doesn't seem to affect him.

In one location I have two hives. One is the nicest bees in the world, the other one I just don't trust. Thus always some gear when I'm near them.

My one experience with a hot hive taught me that there's no such thing as too much protective gear. Here's a video I took when I moved them to a remote location that's similar to the one linked above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxwyu14ZNX4
    Full protective gear and still got four or five stings in the ankle, a couple thru the shoulder, and one in my head from a bee the wriggled thru a tiny opening in the zipper.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    But then comes that day that bees can't be read correctly and you get lit up. I never lift a lid without a veil anymore.
    I agree, at least a veil. I normally walk away without a sting or buzz. But the day came when I got two in the face, not a pretty picture. So veil yes! I don't like the idea that a bee has to die, cause I wanna be free!
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." 2 years, 4 langs and 2 top bars
    www.4cornersbeekeepers.com

Thanks for posting that vid bison. Every new Beek south of the Mason Dixon line should view it.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

That was an interesting video... Africanized i assume?

Most of the time you can open a queen-right hive that is actively collecting nectar/pollen without protective gear and be just fine. However, you probably won't know a hive has lost its queen until to open the lid - then it is too late if you aren't wearing gear.

I did that once and will never make that mistake again. There was no evading those bees - I'm just glad no one else was there to laugh their butts off

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger View Post
    That was an interesting video... Africanized i assume?
    I don't know - I live in the SF Bay Area, so not an area that I believe has Africanized bees. There are rumors of some bad bees that came up a few years ago. The queen was one I'd raised from a calm hive, must have mated with a bad bee.

Quote Originally Posted by julysun View Post
    Thanks for posting that vid bison. Every new Beek south of the Mason Dixon line should view it.
    you don't have to be in the south to have a hive like this. I had one last year that would meet me at the truck door when I pulled into the yard. Took a couple visits to get that queen and then a couple weeks before the hive calmed down. Nothing like stepping out of the truck and taking a hit on the face.

Quote Originally Posted by hideawayranch View Post
    I agree, at least a veil. I normally walk away without a sting or buzz. But the day came when I got two in the face, not a pretty picture. So veil yes! I don't like the idea that a bee has to die, cause I wanna be free!
    Do you try to grab a bee that is about to sting you quickly by hand and squish it before it plants its' stinger? I do that and avoid a lot of stings.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast