Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How do some guys go without any kind of protective gear what so ever?

28K views 106 replies 51 participants last post by  Acebird 
#1 ·
I have been watch fat man bee videos on you tube for the past few weeks, and am left wondering: how does he do it? How does he go without even wearing a veil, and not get the first sting? And he is not the only one, video after video of people going through hives wearing no gear. I just watched a video of a guy and girl wearing shorts and t shirts checking a top bar (nothing against top bars, I've got four myself), anyway, they walked up to the hive, put their hands on it and said, I kid you not, "hello bees, how are you today?" Then they checked the hive bees flying everywhere, and never got the first sting. So today, I thought I would try it, walked up and said hello to the bees, after taking off the cover, got two stings on the hand. Maybe I did it wrong. Are some people really just born with a gift for handling bees?

#37 ·
Most of the time you can open a queen-right hive that is actively collecting nectar/pollen without protective gear and be just fine. However, you probably won't know a hive has lost its queen until to open the lid - then it is too late if you aren't wearing gear.

I did that once and will never make that mistake again. There was no evading those bees - I'm just glad no one else was there to laugh their butts off ;)

#41 ·
I often worked the first hive I got with no veil, shorts, t shirt, and sandals.

It was several miles from my home, and I was lucky to get the opportunity to work it once a week.
I thought that as long I moved fluidly, didn't bang around and used common sense, I'd be fine.

The second year I kept bee I did quite a bit of splitting, and encountered bees when they are queenless -- and discovered even bees from "gentle" stock can be pretty cranky when queenless, as I got stung up pretty good that day.

As long as the weather is clear and sunny, you get in the hive at mid day when most of the foragers are out, there is no thunderstorm coming, the bees are genetically disposed to gentleness, you don't drop anything and startle them, don't accidentally crush a bee and release alarm pheromone, don't use too little smoke, don't use too much smoke, don't use the wrong kind of smoke, don't still have habanero oil on your fingers from slicing peppers even after washing, don't smell bad to bees, don't use scented toiletries, didn't just kiss someone wearing cologne or perfume, and don't any-one-of-a-hundred-other-things, you can often work bees without a veil.

My bees are nearly always gentle.

But today I opened a hive whose queen quit laying a couple weeks ago.

It's a very crowded hive, well populated for the flow, and is supered.

I had placed a new, caged queen in the hive previously after looking (unsuccessfully) for the queen.

After four days, I'd checked on the caged queen and there were a lot of bees biting on the cage, so I knew the original queen was probably still present.

I was out of time, so I left the new queen cage (corks had not been removed) in for the night.
If I'd had queen excluders with me, I'd've put them btw the three brood boxes, but I hadn't any with me.

Thunderstorms prevented me returning yesterday.

With thunderstorms forecast for this afternoon, and all day the next few days, I wen back up to pinch the original queen today.

Unfortunately, the bees had had enough time to chew through the cork in the queen cage, and the new queen had been loosed. Hopefully the new queen survives, but it is not likely based on the behavior of the bees when I was in the hive last time.

But here's the point of all this:

These normally very gentle bees had
a) been in a hive that was entered a lot more frequently than normal lately,
b) been queenless long enough to have no open brood,
c) were opened when a thunderstorm was imminent and the barometer was dropping like a rock.

These normally gentle bees (descended from the gentle queen in my original hive mentioned above) were very aggressive, head butting, veil-obscuring, stinging my gloves, and when I was through, pursued me for 75 yards after I had finished.

That's totally out of character for that hive.

If I'd relied on their behavior up til today, and if I didn't know from experience that the conditions present were likely to result in an unpleasant hive, I might have worked them in shorts, or just a veil.

And I'd be in bad shape right now.

Until you are experienced enough to be able to watch the hive entrance for a moment and have an idea of what's going on inside, and are able to recognize when bees are likely to behave more aggressively than normal based on condition, you're not wise to work bees without your skin well covered and a veil on.

You may never have an issue.
But if you do, it's not likely to be just one or two little stings.

Be safe.

Have fun
Enjoy your bees

#47 ·
Are some people really just born with a gift for handling bees?
No, it's learned. What we do naturally, is exactly what aggravates the bees.

I started out as a hobbyist & despite full suit used to get stung sometimes badly, every time I went in the hives. Then I got a job working bees full time, and the boss refused to allow me to wear protective equipment when he didn't think I should, no veil, nothing. So at first I copped 30 or 40 stings every day. But after a few months I'd figured out exactly what makes bees sting. The way I move, smoked, not smoked, etc.

Going by how long it took me while working hives full time, I think most hobbyists will just never be in an arena hot and heavy and long enough to really figure it out, although I have seen some hobbyists who are pretty good.

One thing gives me a kick, I work with a lot of hobbyists, and I'll sometimes go to open their hive and they'll say "whatchout better put a veil on those bees are real angry ones". I never bother, and as long as the hobbyist doesn't make any screw ups, rarely get stung.

Then they say "oh yeah, but you were just lucky it must be a good day".

LOL :)

#52 ·
No of course they wouldn't, and that's my point. I would not encourage anyone to get 30 or 40 stings a day.

For me, It was a long time ago, I was a teenage kid with a hard boss. Ego had no part in it, he had his theories and I did what I was told.

Now, I'm glad of what I have learned. At the time, it was hard work.

I rarely wear any protection, because I have very gentle bees, which is important to me, and I'm more comfortable without gloves, veil, etc.

#51 ·
I'll tell you the truth, no ego here.........I hate getting stung, period!! I always wear gloves and my ventilated jacket/veil combo. I also always wear jeans as well except for once when I wore thin work out pants and took a sting to the leg, that didn't bother me, but it was the thought of getting stung somewhere else that bothered me! I do wear tennis shoes now though instead of my work boots!!

I do have to wear gloves though because the times I did get stung on them they swell up and look like Mickey Mouse hands! Only place on my whole body that reacts bad to stings............that I know of so far.

So, call me a wuss..........but atleast I am confident when working the hives!!LOL

#56 ·
I find that in springtime my resistance to stings is down and i swell up and itch more. After the first month of working my hives again and after 10 or 12 stings my resistance is back up and its nothing more than a very minor irritation. Of course if i get stung more than a few times early in a inspection i suit up... I'm not brave(stupid) enough to let them wear me out...lol And i normally don't use smoke in my KTBH's.

#58 ·
I don't understand. Are you trying to find bees that can be worked w/out a veil and gloves? And doing that search by killing queens that head hives that sting you when you open a hive w/out a veil or gloves? Is that correct?

Do you search out gentle bees from other beekeepers? Where do queens come from when you want to requeen? Replace the queen you have killed.

#62 ·
I don't understand. Are you trying to find bees that can be worked w/out a veil and gloves?
It's easy to understand. They are made just like all livestock was. To be domesticated in order to be managed by man to work for him.

If somebody refuses to manage something. He loses it. Genetic traits are the same way.

If you have a cow that will kill you mated by a bull that will kill you. What will the calf do when he or she grows up? It's easier to take three steps backward when selecting genetics than it is to take a half a step forward.

And doing that search by killing queens that head hives that sting you when you open a hive w/out a veil or gloves? Is that correct?
yea.

Do you search out gentle bees from other beekeepers? Where do queens come from when you want to requeen? Replace the queen you have killed.
replace it with offspring of the most gentle one in the yard. or somebody elses which ever.

I guarantee you as many hives as you have. You can walk by every single one and ONE of them will stand out above the rest and most likely be gentle as cats even with no smoke.

Graft as many as you can get mated out of her and save the nicest ones. :)

When you find that nice one. She'll prove to you that all this talk about pissy on cloudy/windy/rainy days and stuff is a load of crap. But it's not a load of crap when explaining most bees. Most people don't care cause either they have a mosquito bite type tolerance of apitoxin or they go out in a hazmat suit with cuffs and ankles taped up and don't give a hoot.

I have one queen out of 30ish so far that I can open the hive and the bees on the top bars will turn and go down on the combs. I can reach for frames and they will see my fingers coming and get out of the way. I have 20 capped cells out there right now out of her. Can't wait to see her babies. Should have a bunch hatching in a couple days.

75% of the bees in that box are not her offspring atleast. So why then is it that they treated me differently with their own mother? Certainly disproves a load of crap that I've read.

#72 ·
Well fat/beeman shouldn't be too far below wherever you are in SC either. Yet if you insist. If you come down 29 south through lynchburg/danville. when you go through danville you are only about 15 minutes away from me.going to SC if you go 29 it shouldn't be too much different than going 95 though richmond south.

I think it's kinda crazeh for somebody with your experience with bees to care to visit somebody like me who has so little experience but ok. I got them 25 feet or so from my front porch the closest ones and they are just like pets.

If you wait until next year at this time I'll be a bit more proud of them. I got a bunch to weed through this year. Hopefully In the next year or two I'll be able to produce a queen worth selling.

#64 ·
Haven't read all the responses, but I'd bet those that don't wear protective gear don't react all that strongly to stings.

Someone mentioned getting 30-40 stings a day for a month...I'm pretty sure that would have literally ended me up in a hospital or dead. Some of us swell up and itch with just one sting. Some hardly react at all. I wish I didn't react, as the stings themselves don't hurt all that much. Having your thumb twice as large as it normally is and itch for 4-5 days after from a single sting is WAY to much.

I wear protective gear and always will. Not to mention even an accidental sting in the eye can cause blindness, not worth the risk to me.

~Matt

#65 ·
I think you have to consider the person, some are very tolerate to pain. for years I did not wear protection. most of the time I don't know when I get stung till I see the stinger & no swelling unless its on my head & that is minor. I also don't take a shot when getting teeth pulled. normally don't know when the tooth comes out. on the other hand one drink of Gatorade will knock me out. I have been stung directly in the eye & did not go blind, didn't hurt much either. it did scare me , so know I wear a jacket & veil or have it close. I wear everything with cutouts. randy

#74 ·
This is one case where I feel called to say, Oh, come on Michael, really? To work bees au naturale it takes ignorance of how rapidly things can go bad"? I would say that if one doesn't know how fast things can change and being ready for that to happen, maybe one shouldn't go w/out veil and gloves.

#68 ·
Haha good saying pink cow. I most always wear pants. The ticks are rough here.

I have had up to 30 folks (without gear) within 3-20 feet of my hives with my largest hive opened for them to see and get close to. In my experience wearing gloves and suits get me stung more than when I am not wearing them. (Especially gloves) I always wear a veil except for short 1-5 minute periods occasionally. When I need to the whole get up it used but it truly is a bad day in the beeyard when that happens.

Gloves crush bees, they take stingers and wreak of "come sting the heck out of me" Even on the next visit. I don't have time to wash my stuff everyday. Also when using gloves the finesse is quickly tossed to the wayside and the bees don't appreciate any rougher than needed handling.

I think instructors should forewarn that new beekeepers should work there way up to going without gloves. (I understand people are allergic so this does not apply to you)

BUT It is also important that people know that EHB's are gentle and not the vicious aggressors that many uneducated folks think they are.

Just like with every thing common sense and moderation are needed.

The reality of beekeeping is that when you keep honeybees you will get stung.

I worked in mine 9 hours yesterday with just a veil. Walked 150 plus feet from a yard and had one fly hit me in the head get tangled in my short head of hair and sting me for no darn reason. Happens.....

#70 ·
I think a lot depends on the beekeeper. Noted some bees have a nasty temper, but these bees in the wild don't bother anyone. When we tear apart their home too often or fly through an inspection like a wrecking ball, or choke them with the smoker,what do you expect? I have gentle bees, usually don't wear a hat/veil, although one is handy if I need it, but I have learned to work my bees with slow, fluid movements, no jerking things around no bumping or dropping frames. Even at that sometimes the girls are in a bad mood. When that happens, I walk away. Remember we are supposed to be their caretakers, adapting to their world, not the other way around. JMO. :banana:

#73 ·
MJuri. Not to mention even an accidental sting in the eye can cause blindness said:
Matt,
I have hard of this fear, especially since joining beesource not much before, but have never met anyone who has ever actually been stung on the eyeball. Makes me wonder if it ever has happened. Though I imagine it has. Other than being difficult to get the stinger out and possibily the pain I don't know that it would be any worse than anywhere else. The eye seems to be the fastest recovering part of our body, if I recall hearing correctly.

#77 ·
> I would say that if one doesn't know how fast things can change and being ready for that to happen, maybe one shouldn't go w/out veil and gloves.

If one understood how rapidly things can go bad they would never go w/out a veil... so it is a requirement if that is your goal...

#79 ·
>If one understood how rapidly things can go bad they would never go w/out a veil... so it is a requirement if that is your goal...
Kinda wondering why your experience is that things can suddenly go so bad. I only see that with people who really don't understand their bees, in the way somebody does who works with them all day, every day, for years. Those people know what might come, and tend not to be caught unawares.

#78 · (Edited)
And yet I do from time to time. I'm surprised at your statement. Haven't I seen videos of you w/ bees w/out a veil?

I worked for 20 years as an Apiary Inspector and the wearing of gloves while doing inspections was forbidden. Thousands of hives, removing honey crops and putting them back together. I almost always wore a veil, but often did not. I don't think I was being ignorant.

#80 ·
Old timer think about people who reads these forums. I don't believe Michael's comment pertains to people who have years and years of experience with thousands of hives. I think he was fore warning naive beginners like myself who have never had a problem with a hive thinking it is always going to be that way. I have opened my hives without protection but what if Michael is right and ten thousand bees come at me. There is no way you can get the veil on fast enough to do any good. OK so maybe it is only 30 bees. You could be a hurting pup with 30 stings at once.

#83 ·
A. He made a blanket statement w/out any qualifications.
B. Unless you have some variety of bees unlike anyone else in NY you wouldn't have 10,000 bees fly up out of a hive at you. Even if you picked up your hive and dropped it. Have you ever seen 10,000 bees in the air at once?
C. I have met you and you are perfectly capable, barring a suddenly broken leg, of getting away from your bees by going inside of your house from where your bhive is w/out suffering hundreds of stings.

#81 ·
What he said was that to not wear a veil takes complete ignorance.

He may or may not be right for some people, but in my opinion it is not always the case.

But hey, no biggy. People do what they want. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.