Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How do some guys go without any kind of protective gear what so ever?

28K views 106 replies 51 participants last post by  Acebird 
#1 ·
I have been watch fat man bee videos on you tube for the past few weeks, and am left wondering: how does he do it? How does he go without even wearing a veil, and not get the first sting? And he is not the only one, video after video of people going through hives wearing no gear. I just watched a video of a guy and girl wearing shorts and t shirts checking a top bar (nothing against top bars, I've got four myself), anyway, they walked up to the hive, put their hands on it and said, I kid you not, "hello bees, how are you today?" Then they checked the hive bees flying everywhere, and never got the first sting. So today, I thought I would try it, walked up and said hello to the bees, after taking off the cover, got two stings on the hand. Maybe I did it wrong. Are some people really just born with a gift for handling bees?

#4 ·
It's mid winter here in Oz, but I just paid mine a visit, I do wear a veil, but it's a home brew hat with some mozzy/fly netting around it and is more for my confidence than protection. I don't wear gloves (never have), I wore a long sleeved polo shirt today, but in summer it's a light tee-shirt. I have two TBH and will start two Lang's in spring. No stings and more often than not none buzz me either.

Do I have the calmest bees ever? No, when I set up the first of these TBH I collected 37 strings in that one DAY. Now I guess they like me?

#5 ·
type of bees plays a factor. Knowing when to smoke, how much to smoke, and when not to smoke is vital as well. Not using strong deodorant's, not smelling like livestock, or smelling like your pets play a major role also.

Not messing with them more than you have to while in the hive. Not getting into them to often.

I personally have noticed more aggressive behavior when hives were located in heavy shade but that might just be my bees.

I keep my 100 plus hives with just a veil, t-shirt and crocs 99% of the time. I still use my bee suit when needed. Its a tool no shame in using it.

I have been stung at least 15 times this year. Part of the trade.

Some days they will hit you through the suit, some days you could work them buck naked. That's the way my bees are.

And these are a colony of females...... who knows what they'll do next!

#7 ·
I've done it bare handed and come to the notion that bees have tiny brains and regardless of how much I want to become "one with nature" they might not follow the script. I believe it is irresponsible for an instructor to demonstrate handling bees without protective clothes. It makes new people think that being a "good" beekeeper means handling bees in bare skin. That is nonsense and has probably caused people to consider themselves failures as beekeepers. My wife was in the ER from a blood infection caused by a sting--odd but it happened. She is no longer "one with the bees". I got hit twice in each hand and swelled up like a tick. Did I do something to cause it? Don't know, don't care.

Sorry to be on a soapbox but this topic gets my head spinning. Guys who catch rattlers wear knee-high leather boots.

One little variance in your chemistry , or something you ate yesterday could cause bees to react poorly. "born with a gift"? Nope, they are just willing to get stung a lot. why they risk getting stung seems to have more to do with the ego, who knows? more likely they are born less sensitive to bee venom.

#71 ·
...why they risk getting stung seems to have more to do with the ego, who knows? more likely they are born less sensitive to bee venom.
More likely it's too hot in Georgia, Alabama & Louisiana during the summer to risk heat stroke from suiting up. Stings vs heat is the decision that I have had to make. Once you get desensitized somewhat to stings you have options. But from what I've seen even though they may be able to work the bees some without protection, they still have it available for when the bees are on a different program (as you see with JPtheBeeman).

Our bees are very agreeable until a dearth at which time they may be a little more defensive of their stores which leads to some stings. But when you simulate a nectar flow (feeding) so you can raise bees and draw out new comb I would expect you have a little more wiggle room during the summer dearth.

#10 ·
First let me say that I think it is important to protect yourself when you are in a potentially dangerous situation. Removing a hive from a house means I am wearing the full jacket, suit, and gloves. But day to day working with my own hive I didn't need it all. This is my first year beekeeping and I never got that scared, anxious, hesitant, or nervous feeling. I never felt like I was taking a big risk. The first day installing the package I had the jacket and veil combo, gloves,and long pants. I felt clunky so I took off the gloves and haven't put them on since. Weeks later I still felt very comfortably around my bees but a bit restricted so I soon bought a simple veil and hat. I figured I would still wear a large white long sleeved shirt the next time I went out, but it started warming up I forgot the long sleeves. Now I usually go out in jeans and a t-shirt and the only reason I'm wearing jeans is because I have to walk through tall grass to get to my hive. A Friend of mine who is a beekeeper keeps telling me there will come a time when I need all my protective gear, but for now I will just enjoy working them with out wearing a jacket in 80 degree weather. I think I have been blessed with some gentle bees, so I am thankful and will enjoy them.

#11 ·
Be prepared. Being a beekeeper means having the tools and knowing how and when to use them. Like a carpenter w/ a tool belt, saw, level, and square.

You also need to know and understand what the bees are telling you. "Don't like what you are doing. Better suit up if you are going to continue invading our space."

#12 ·
I have been watch fat man bee videos on you tube for the past few weeks, and am left wondering: how does he do it? How does he go without even wearing a veil, and not get the first sting? And he is not the only one, video after video of people going through hives wearing no gear
I don't agree with Fat Bee Man in this case. He and others give a false sense of security to new beeks in their Youtube learning videos when they don't wear protection (Veil etc...)

#13 ·
I agree with that. A good shop teacher sets a good example to his students by using eye and hearing protection. What you do in the privacy of your own garage or bee yard is your business, but as the old saying goes it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

#14 ·
As per FBM's videos, I see your point. But, to answer the question posed in this Thread's Title, answers have been given. Working w/out veils and/or gloves can be done and is quite enjoyable at the right time under the right conditions.

#17 ·
Based on what I've seen and experienced. It's 100% genetic/pheromone influenced trait. I keep mine in the front yard. I can't allow anything other than gentle.

Size of the hive only makes a difference if they are mean to begin with. three frames of bees with the same queen mother will act just like 30 frames of bees with the same queen being the mother. Sometimes even with workers that are not her offspring. If I have to use smoke and a veil. I kill the queen. If I have to use smoke. I'll kill them this fall and combine with the nicer ones.

No tellin how long this selection process will take. I've got about 30ish queens mated out here this year and only three of them can be worked without smoke. I have one stacked three mediums high and one four. The four high one is well packed with bees. Not an issue. I can tear the whole hive down and spend as much time as I want in there. I shook about two pounds of bees out of it to help out other hives newly mated the other day. Cracked the box open 24 hours later. Still nice.

Test the bees at the entrance first. Wave your hand slightly in front. If they ignore you. Crack the lid. If a few run out and bump your hand or bounce off of you then you may want a veil. Or reaching for the frames if you notice them come out and bounce on you hands you might want gloves unless you can tolerate getting stung. The ones of mine that hit my hands when reaching for frames. The use of smoke usually stops that behavior enough to work them without protection of any kind. If not I kill the queen and shake them out forcing them to beg into a nicer hive.

#18 ·
I have worked without protective gear in the past, but not anymore. However, I use to smoke myself thoroughly before opening the hives. Puffed smoke on my hands, arms, entire body, hair, even feet. I smelled like I had just come out of a smoking bar.

#20 ·
There is a video of fbm shaking down a package without PPE (personal protective equipment) on youtube.. We are first year beeks and we wear our veils... Probably always will.. Aside from that i just tuck whatever shirt im wearing into whatever shorts im wearing and depending on the weather decide sandels or shoes... Opened a top the other day to check food level on a newer package and a bee rammed the little women.. Now she claims she is scared of bees all over again because "i didnt do anything to it and it came at me anyway, thats not defensive aggression thats offensive" ... In her defense the next day she threw on her veil and pulled frames in a tshirt for an inspection because "had work to do" ... The point is, how much PPE you wear is how comfortable you are.. There are no tricks, there are no secrets... Pay attention to the weather, temperature, and such.. Gather as much info as you can and wear what you need to feel comfortable and calm.. Ive only been stung 3 times in my young beekeeping career, once on the ass, once in front of my ear, and once behind said ear... Ive decided its not the end of the world so i just protect my face and head

#22 ·
In the 10 years I have kept bees the best advice I got from an old beekeeper was to get rid of your beesuit. At first I would get stung alot but after awhile when you learn to read the bees and how to work with them stings are alot less common. I only own a veil now and the last time I used that was when I did a cut out. I was down in GA last week learning from Fatbeeman, his bees are like any other bees. Remember bees smell fear.....

#23 ·
I usually have 4 to 10 hives next to each other in any given location and I can get away with no protection with most of them buy there's usually one or two in each yard that just absolutely insist I wear a veil.

I also notice that when I wear my "reader" sunglasses to find eggs they tend to try to sting around my eyes. Anyone else notice that?

#24 ·
Part of it may be that some people have little to no reaction to bee stings, even multiple stings.

I wish my body worked like that. Yeah I know, take more stings, build immunity yada, yada, yada. That approach simply dont work for me.

#32 ·
My ranting did go a bit off topic...sorry

When we were in the ER after my wife had a blood infection from a sting, I asked the Doctor about the theory of more stings/less treatment helping to reduce the impact of bee venom. As if a person develops more tolerance, assuming they don't die in the process of repeated stings. He said it sounded silly to him as he looked at the red line running up my wifes arm.

Bees can smell fear? Really. Did that come out of a University somewhere?

#28 ·
I'll approach bees without gear, I'll look at hives from the outside, and I'll approach a clustered swarm to take a look. But as soon as I am actually messing with them at all, I'm at least covering my head.

Whenever I see people advocating no gear, I think of Timothy Treadwell

He lived among the Grizzly Bears in Alaska for 13 summers. Played with them; hung around with them. Guided Tourists up there and refused to carry pepper spray or put an electric fence around his campsite.

He appeared on David Letterman and Dateline. His story was very compelling. He suggested the bears were just misunderstood and had a whole lot of people wanting to hug-a-bear...

...until he and his girlfriend got killed and partially eaten by one.

#29 ·
Shook out 4 packages in April and may no problem. They didn't have hive or honey to protect so no problem. Their all prob. Quadrupled in size now, I always wear a veil and just nitrile gloves no smoke on langs and definitely no smoke on tbh's. only open 1 bar space. They peek out but that's it. Tbh's now has 21 bars drawn. Monty inmarquette

#33 ·
While most of my eight hives are very gentle and are unlikely to sting me, I always wear at least a veil if I open a hive. Only took one sting on my nose to teach me that. I don't understand this comment: "I also notice that when I wear my "reader" sunglasses to find eggs they tend to try to sting around my eyes. Anyone else notice that?" - Why risk getting stung near your eyes??

I am amazed at how Fatbeeman is able to work his. In some videos he does get stung and it doesn't seem to affect him.

In one location I have two hives. One is the nicest bees in the world, the other one I just don't trust. Thus always some gear when I'm near them.

My one experience with a hot hive taught me that there's no such thing as too much protective gear. Here's a video I took when I moved them to a remote location that's similar to the one linked above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxwyu14ZNX4
Full protective gear and still got four or five stings in the ankle, a couple thru the shoulder, and one in my head from a bee the wriggled thru a tiny opening in the zipper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.