Thread: Love tap?

Default Love tap?

Yesterday I was tending some hives gloveless. A bee landed on my hand, bowed up in the "I am about to bring you pain" position, and...just kinda gave me a love tap. I got ready to scrape out the stinger with my hive tool, but she straightened out and walked away.

The stinger went in a little bit. I felt it. It did not go in enough to stick. She walked away with stinger intact. Anybody else ever had this happen?
    Try it. What could happen?

Default Re: Love tap?

Haven't had that happen, but I wish they'd leave my hand with there stinger in tact. Congrats

Few times, usually on my hand somewhere, like a mosquito bite reaction usually.

Are they Hygienic? They could be biting you.

Mine used to bite me up when they weren't happy. Never found a stinger, just a little welt.

Are they Hygienic? They could be biting you.
    I'm 99% sure it was the stinger. She was bowed up in the stinging position. It was clear she was trying to stick her stinger in.

They seem to be pretty hygienic. I catch them taking showers in the mornings sometimes.
    Try it. What could happen?

I watched a bee sting me two days ago as I was sitting next to my hive watching the pollen sacs come in. She landed on my leg, bowed up and I braced for it. Like you, I barely felt anything and she took a few steps and flew. I looked hard for the stinger and then for the dying bee. I never found either. It was almost a non-sting! Maybe she changed her mind before the barb went in.

I had this happen to me last weekend while working a nuc bare handed, when she landed on my hand and bowed up I braced for the impact but only recieved a prick from her stinger.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio