Default Looking to start beekeeping in northern Utah

Hello all. Decided to try a new hobby (perhaps even a small side-business) and start beekeeping. I have 25 acres of family-owned land to work with. Itís sat fallow and unused for years, used to be alfalfa fields. Thinking about developing it as honey bee pasture and planting it all with sainfoin. My ultimate goal is to produce pure sainfoin honey. Iíll probably start out with 3 or so hives and go from there.

Iím pretty excited to get started. If anyone has any experience growing sainfoin or beekeeping in northern Utah, feel free to share any advice you might have.

Default Re: Looking to start beekeeping in northern Utah

Welcome SG! You will need another 375 acres to entertain most of the bees foraging. Bees know no borders!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I see your point. I was hoping maybe if I placed the hives near the center of the 25 acres of sainfoin fields the bees might decide to stay within the area since it's surrounded by grassland. I guess I won't be able to call it "pure" sainfoin honey then. Thanks for the reality check!

There is a lot of alfalfa and clover the bees will work in Cache Valley. It will be difficult to get pure sainfoin honey. Over the years I have run bees in half a dozen counties in northern Utah and western Wyoming. Most of your spring nectar will come from dandelions. Most of your summer honey will come from alfalfa and clover. I do have one location in Mona where they have about three hundred acres of lavender to work and the bees still spend some of there time working the nearby alfalfa fields.

They will forage the 8,000 acres around you anyway. They don't know where the boundaries are...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Welcome, although I'm a new keeper myself this year. I've had my swarm for 2 weeks now but I am hooked.

Okay so the idea of "pure" sainfoin honey is out. 25 acres is definitely too small to ensure pure anything. But would it be safe to assume that while the sainfoin is in bloom that the honey produced during that time would be mostly from the sainfoin? Would I be justified to call it "sainfoin honey"? Are there any industry standards dealing with what you can legally label your honey as?

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm in the idea process and totally new to beekeeping.

After doing a bit more research, I think I found the answer to my question here:

http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/c...0/r070-520.htm

Food containing honey may be designated according to floral or plant source if the honey comes predominately from that particular source and has the organoleptic, physicochemical and microscopic properties corresponding with that origin.

I think it would be a safe bet to assume that honey from a hive in the middle of 25 acres of sainfoin would be predominately sainfoin in origin, right? At least while it's in bloom of course.

>I think it would be a safe bet to assume that honey from a hive in the middle of 25 acres of sainfoin would be predominately sainfoin in origin, right? At least while it's in bloom of course.

Bees are very loyal to any nectar source. If they are already working a profitable source when the sainfoin blooms they may not work it at all or they may not work it until the other source peters out. I would not say it is a safe bet. It is likely that some of it would be. It's helpful if you know what a varietal tastes like. Then you can taste it and see...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF