Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the secret to Ross Rounds?

I bought a complete Ross Rounds Super last year and placed it on one of my strongest hives, following directions that came with it. The bees never touched it, so I wound up taking it off. I added it to what is by far my strongest hive this year. To date, I have gotten 10 gallons of honey off this hive this year with plenty more coming. And alas, I still have an untouched Ross Rounds Super in the midst of all that madness!! (Actually, I removed it today, disgusted.) I have requests for honey with comb in it and was planning on using the Ross Rounds to put into jars with the honey. I guess my next venture will be to make one of the boards to hold inverted jars so the ladies build the comb in the jars. If anyone has had success with Ross Rounds, please tell me the secret.

Default Re: What is the secret to Ross Rounds?

from what I've read, it sounds like that is even harder to get them to draw out and fill.

When I want bees to draw comb in a box they try to shy away from I put a queen excluder on both sides of the box with the queen in there with them. She will put eggs in part of it but it will be drawn and they will fill it later.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, But to get bees to fill a Ross rounds they need to have a reason too. like more field bees then they know what to do with. and keep them that way with out swarming. that is the trick so to speak. Some say to really crowd a hive and give them all capped brood and take away the queen so no baby bees to feed saves, I have heard 100 lbs of honey to feed a batch of brood for the month. Your goal should be to try to direct a way to get them focused on the rounds. Here is what Mr bush has to say http://bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm#cutdown
    Rick Kumer

> I have requests for honey with comb in it

If the Ross Rounds aren't working for you, why not just put in a frame with *thin* foundation or no foundation and then cut the resulting comb honey into chunks that fit into the jars?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Ross round supers need to have a strong necter flow and lots and lots of bees. Some hives do better than others for reasons I do not understand. I only have four ross supers, and If I force all the bees down to one brood box and a few days later see that they are not up in the ross super I will take it off and put regular supers on. Then I will try setting up another hive with the ross super and see how they take to it. I am sure there is a better way, I just don't know it.

i bought a ross round setup 2 years ago....tried it 2 years in a row and this year its sitting in the shop. didnt even bother getting it out. im gonna unload it on ebay most likely.

also,if u want to cut comb honey out and put it in jars with wet honey (known as chunk honey jars) why would you do that with ross rounds ? the beauty of ross rounds if u can get them to work is that u just remove the rounds when they are capped and put the lids on them and sell them at a premium. kind of defeats the purpose. we are completely foundationless other that when we have bought nucs and its allllll cutable comb honey. and beautiful !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    > I have requests for honey with comb in it

If the Ross Rounds aren't working for you, why not just put in a frame with *thin* foundation or no foundation and then cut the resulting comb honey into chunks that fit into the jars?
    That's the way I get my comb. FOUNDATIONLESS.

The secret is to buy the company, tell everyone how much money they can make selling Ross Rounds a then sit back and let the money roll in!

Tried em once when someone else tried them, failed and gave me the Super. I gave it away to someone else to try.... Ross Rounds are like fish tanks, they are just passed around....
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Running colonies for comb honey is not the same as running them for honey production. Find some comb honey production manuals or pamphlets.

One thing you need to do is run bees at the edge of swarming. You will have to shake your strongest hives down into one box and install the comb honey supers above an excluder. You will also have to check for queen cells periodically and destroy them.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Grab this bood as a PDF or EBook...

http://books.google.com/books?id=_bg...ed=0CC8Q6AEwAA

It's written like a journal of a year's management for comb honey. It was written by G. M. Doolittle, one of the fathers of beekeeping in it's current form.

They gotta be strong, have a flow going on and I would say they have to be motivated. I do a few every year - I just take a strong hive and put them on with a queen excluder underneath, that is really the only time I use an excluder, I don't want larva in the rounds. I just put on a box and leave them and check now and then. I have a hard time getting them to really go to town and get them all finished up. If they start going on it and things work good I get a box or so. It really cuts into the honey production so I don't get too excited about them, they don't sell well in my area.
    Most of the time I use the hive at my house to do them - all but one of my hives are away from the house and when I extract those I take all the supers back to the house and do them, then set the empties back outside the house for the house hive to clean them out. Keeps them busy in the fall and I don't have to go back out to my out yards with wet supers.

It just seems like it takes them all summer to get it done no matter how strong the hive is but at least when they are done they aren't hard to process, just pop out, drain and put into boxes.

Richard Taylor's shook swarm method works great
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Read the book, or watch the CD...Honey in the Comb by Killion.

Gene Killion?

Ray Churchill, from Watertown,NY, wrote an article on comb honey production for Bee Culture back when it was still Gleanings in Bee Culture. I don't know the title or when it was published. It was some time in the 1990s I think.

For those who want to go to the trouble, contact Lloyd Spear, owner of Ross Rounds, and ask his advice. He buys and sells thousands of combs a year, so he probably has some advice to give.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Ross Rounds are like fish tanks, they are just passed around....
    Funny you should mention fish tanks in a Ross Round Thread. I think he sold them too at one time. lol
    Mark Berninghausen

In order to get them into ross rounds you need to push 2 deep boxes of bees and all brood that will fit into one box then put on the ross rounds during a strong honey flow. You must be vigilante in swarm control because crowding this tight will make them want to build q-cells and swarm. In my area I don't get long enough flows to produce much this way. Also the rounds in the jar usually doesn't stay positioned in the jar well, it tends to float up sideways once the jar is filled with honey. You'd be better off using shallow supers with thin non wired foundation or foundationless frames and doing cut comb. IMHO

Like M, Palmer stated earlier check out the book or cd "Honey in the comb" for an in depth description of Killion's management technique for producing comb honey.
    Last edited by Sharpbees; 06-26-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

The Killions have the record for number of sections produced by one colony. Around 300 if I remember.

Ray Churchill holds the NY record I bet.
    Mark Berninghausen