Hybrid View

Default Top Feeder Question

All,
    I am building some top feeders for my hives and have a question concerning top entrances. Since the top feeder box serves as the inner cover, should I put a hole in the box to allow for a top entrance? Or will this be just an easy access for robbing?
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Top Feeder Question

the top feeder should go on top of the inner cover. I didn;t know this when i put them on my hives and I had quite a mess of burr comb. I scraped it all off and then put the inner cover on with the feeder on top and have not had a problem since. You may want to consider making a small extension ring to go on top of the feeder that has some screened holes in it. this will allow for better ventilation.

Pro feeder from mann lake is the best feeder i ever used it goes in the place of 2 frames and with the cap and ladder system I have not lost 1 bee to drowning and it is easy to fill i even pored the syrup rite over the bees and there fine.Pro Feeders

Stronger
    The wood cap system and the inside wall supports add to the unparalleled structural integrity of the feeder.

Revolutionary Cap & Ladder System
    Sealed feeding tubes ensure the bees are confined to the feeding area so you will experience minimal drowning.

Easy To Clean
    This is the only feeder available where the entire cap and ladder system is easily removed for cleaning.

No Burr Comb To Clean
    Sealed feeding tubes prevent the bees from making burr comb in the feeder and keeps the queen from laying brood inside.

Textured Interior Walls
    Textured interior walls for those who wish to use the feeder without the cap and ladder system.

Larger Size Saves You Time & Money

I put a shingle shim under each side of the top feeder and a reducer (sometimes just a broken off shim) across most of the front. I NEVER drill holes in my boxes!
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I was using BM top feeders and have lost a lot of bees to them. I am going to switch to a frame feeder I live in S.C. so winters are not to bad. should I use Mann or dose anyone know any that are better?