Hybrid View

Default How old is an emergency queen?

I just had a split wait 3 days before starting QCs. Not till the 4th day did I see any. Got me thinking. Just how old are the larva that the bees choose? It is not unusual for them to have starts spread over different days. Do they actually use different ages? Studies or opinions?

Backing into the age by the calendar would indicate day to day and a half old larva is acceptable to the bees. At least, if I wait to harvest cells by the calendar I find destroyed cells.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Default Re: How old is an emergency queen?

An emergency queen is started from larvae and not an egg. The best queens come from larvae 24 hours old or less. Studies have shown that one third of the time when bees are allowed to make emergency queens they use larvae that are too old (3 to 4 days) to make good queens. They will start queens from different age larvae as they become available. These queen cells will emerge at different times. A queen cell is capped for 7 1/2 days and then the queen emerges, you may want to time them from the day you find them capped.

Just curious - what studies are you referring to?

Saltybee - how strong was the split. Even a very weak hive will try to make a queen - sometimes the cells are very small, but usually a strong hive with plenty of nurse bees and lots of brood to work with will start cells almost immediately.

I think that it is best to find the queen and split her out into a small nuc - then let the strong part of the hive make a new queen rather than the other way around.

3 frames from 3 hives.I was planning on removing the cells to add a cell bar. None there. It was different to not see cells. Now I am just watching because I have not seen it before. It was the 4th day before any cells were visable. Now 7 started. They had to catch the last of the eggs.

David LaFerney;

1971 study by Dr. J. Woyke of Warsaw, Poland.

AR Googling with your reference led me to:http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jas....012-0010-1.xml
    Full PDF has a little more. If you are not getting 1 day larva then emergency cells are the equal according to this study.