Default Queen behavior and how bees respond to them.

Is there general guidelines on how to tell if a queen is mated or not besides the presence of eggs ? I have a hive that has had 3 queens running around in it since its last swarm. 2 of the queens hang out on the underside of the top bars and one of them is on the comb but there are no eggs yet. I caught her today (the one on comb) because I was going to requeen the hive and the bees were all over the queen cage, and acting mad. (like they would normally be, with an established laying queen) The other 2 queens I took out a few days ago got no attention whatsoever. I even took them to another hive just to see their reaction.

Does the presence of attendant bees necessarily mean the queen is mated ? I ask this because most of the virgin queens ive seen in hives didnt get much attention from workers. So I was curious if this is a semi reliable way to tell if a newly hatched queen is mated when you cant find eggs but aren't ready to give up yet.
    Last edited by Steve Johnson; 06-22-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    My blog and website: FromtheHive.org

Default Re: Queen behavior and how bees respond to them.

I don't know about reliable guidelines for determining if your queens have mated (except for eggs), but this article seems to support some of your observations:

For Honey Bee Queens, Multiple Mating Makes Her Attractive To Workers
    Science Daily (2007)
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1008183309.htm

"... the number of times a honey bee queen mates is a key factor in determining how attractive the queen is to the worker bees of a hive."
    Jeanette
    HiveTasks Software for beekeepers

I also look for new drawn comb. I can just open a nuc lid and usually know without looking any further if the queen has been successful in her mated return. I usually see new drawn comb on top the frames.
    The nuc just has an enthusiastic 'mood' and is content.

I'm not sure about "mated", but I can tell if a mating nuc believes that it has a vialable queen by the amount of feed that they take (and then the amount of comb they build like Lauri stated above). On my queen castles I use quart jars above each of the 3 chambers. By just looking at the amount of feed left in the jars I can pretty much guess which nuc I'm going to have to requeen. Queenless chambers don't take much food, while queen right hives try to build comb everywhere.

Thank you so much Jeanette. I've been waiting a week to get an answer or for someone to confirm my suspicions. The comb building and feeding are other very good symptoms I hadnt thought of. I think I was just impatient in waiting for her to lay.
    My blog and website: FromtheHive.org