Default Are there research papers showing the queen can take multiple mating flights

I thought I read somewhere recently of the queen taking several mating flights. Is there published material re this?

Default Re: Are there research papers showing the queen can take multiple mating flights

Books and magazine articles. Suggest a web search. Is there something specific you were interested in concerning mating habits of queen honeybees?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Default Re: Are there research papers showing the queen can take multiple mating flights

I'm sure there is much. Here is the first one I know of:

" Thus, we allowed the queen to leave the hive. She departed, indeed, but made four and twenty fruitless attempts before returning with the evidence of fecundation. Finally, on the thirty-first of October, she was more fortunate: She departed and returned with the most undoubted proof of the success of her amours"--New Observations on the Natural History Of Bees Volume I, Letter III, by François Huber
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

She makes several mating flights but only in the first few weeks of her life.
    Dan

You may find this study useful:

Causes of repeated mating flights by queen honeybees
    Journal of Apiculture Research (1964)
    http://jerzy_woyke.users.sggw.pl/causesmat1964.pdf

"Observations were made on 2434 flights of 628 queens. Of 303 once-inseminated queens left alive for further observations, 63% flew again and 38% mated on a second flight; 8% of the queens flew yet again, and 6% were inseminated a third time."

The scientists even counted the average number of sperms received in each flight, concluding that "the amount of sperm from the first mating flight influences the likelihood of a second flight and successive matings."
    Jeanette
    HiveTasks Software for beekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette View Post
    You may find this study useful:

Causes of repeated mating flights by queen honeybees
    Journal of Apiculture Research (1964)
    http://jerzy_woyke.users.sggw.pl/causesmat1964.pdf

"Observations were made on 2434 flights of 628 queens. Of 303 once-inseminated queens left alive for further observations, 63% flew again and 38% mated on a second flight; 8% of the queens flew yet again, and 6% were inseminated a third time."

The scientists even counted the average number of sperms received in each flight, concluding that "the amount of sperm from the first mating flight influences the likelihood of a second flight and successive matings."
    Thanks Jeanette. That was the exact information I was seeking.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    She makes several mating flights but only in the first few weeks of her life.
    And mates w/ as many as 38 drones during her flights.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Wow thanks for all that fascinating info. I didn't know that a queen might leave as many as 24 times.

The paper linked by Jeanette was interesting, plus very thorough. I see it was pre varroa though, I wonder how that will have changed things with less drones, and less semen per drone.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).