Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Off the wagon

Default Re: Off the wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 1456 View Post
    As your tf hives dwindled, did you use any measures to prevent robbing? You mentioned Bond. I guess that gets into the nitty gritty of Bond. I got asked that question and my answer was yes. I used robber screens. Just curious
    No I didn't and it's one thing that bugged me, but to let a hive go all the way to death it's pretty hard to avoid robbing. Made small entrance guards and did a few things but there were a few near death hives got robbed, yes.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Thanks OT. I too was amazed with the one I had but couldn't bring myself to "strike the blow" so to speak when it looked hopeless. My entrances are 5x.5 all year. I made the screen so there was one small opening off to one side. Like a tunnel. In the end, the hive still has to survive enough to defend any size. (I state the obvious ) The question in my mind still is, what happened? Only theories and suppositions. Thanks for your efforts and sharing.
    Rick

Thanks OT, I didn't realize honey was not your main product, or that you had issues being able to sell it. I assumed you had a reason, I was just interested. Here for me , it makes no sense to feed bees 6.00 honey when .30 is avalible

I have to believe that todays TF bees owe their existence to a lot of early work with minimum treatment hives. I enjoy your posts and hope your current path leads you back to another Bond test another day.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

That is still the goal.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234