Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: old timers

Default Re: old timers

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    An 'old timer' moved 70+ hives within 1/4 mile of my apiary. My last count was 132 shallow supers on his hives,
    Don't assume they are full yet. Get back to us after all of your honey is extracted this year and report your hive average. You may not find any less than last year. I'd be most concerned about getting new mites from him than lossing honey crop.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    What the old timer does is the old timers business. What you do is your business. If it is too much for you then get out of the business.
    Right on Brian. Sell your own honey. That's what I have been advocating for years. I have honey on a grocery store shelf which sells at a higher price than the store brand. I have to go by almost every two weeks to keep it stocked. Mine costs more and sells faster. Go figger.

You will never know how high is too high a price to ask until you get turned down. So, set your own price rediculously high and even if you don't sell at the pace you would like you will make more per pound in profit and may actually make a profit.

Anyone w/ a limited amount of honey should sell at a premium price, promoting the "Limited Quantity" aspect of a "Premium Product". People perceive a higher priced product as a higher quality product, whether it actually is or not. Exploit that human nature. Don't worry about the folks that walk by and buy the other guy's honey.

People who buy less expensive honey are welcome to do so. Nothing wrong w/ that. There is plenty of that out there. If you think you should get more for your honey then set your price and don't back down. There is nothing to gain by underselling yourself.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Don't you love Capitalism.... Supply and demand rules the roost. In my area it would seem that we have more supply then demand. If I go to craigs list I can find 3 posting of different apiaries that are selling raw honey (some with no chemical treatment) its running from $3.33LB to $6.00LB.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Don't assume they are full yet. Get back to us after all of your honey is extracted this year and report your hive average. You may not find any less than last year. I'd be most concerned about getting new mites from him than lossing honey crop.
    The biggest concern with his hives are mites and whatever he brings back from pollinating almonds and I'm not sure of his treatment cycle other than he treats with apiguard in the fall whereas I do oxalic in the fall on the hives that need it. We typically don't harvest our honey, it needs to be kept for obligations for x amount of pounds of feed for the hives we pollinate with and food for winter survival. The problems I'm having at the moment are that I split all my hives and the queen-right side of the split AND the walk away part both plugged out their top deeps (honey-bound or whatever word works) so I've been rotating out some of the frames and dropping in foundation to get drawn which is nice, but now I'm in a position where I'll have to super with 10 frame deeps which get heavy. It does put me in a position where I might modify my expansion plan to split again in the fall into nucs as there will be adequate deep frames of honey to get them through the winter. Just for the record I've never been concerned about our honey crop past what the bees need to survive the winter through early spring.

My original response was about an old timer dropping almost 100 hives 1/4 mile from my apiary on an agreement about refraining from such activity from either party. Its my mistake responding to the 5 gallon bucket genius' mental diarrhea in this thread.

My hives are all past their agreed upon 8 frames of brood for pollination and it looks like we might have to extract too to free up some drawn comb since I was set up to put my swarms into deeps but now I'm almost out of deeps and deep frames

Extracted honey is from $6/lb to $10/lb here.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

> Its my mistake responding to the 5 gallon bucket genius' mental diarrhea in this thread.

Close ...
    That is what I like about beesourse, just spill your guts and get it over with.
    But he gave us fair warning. This is from his very first post:
    I am starting into my second year (second try) so I would say I am definitely a newbie. I like to voice my opinions and hope you will all accept them as opinions and please correct me when I am wrong. That's how I learn. Some say the hard way.

I have read and understand the rules. I am not looking to fight with anyone but I ask allot of questions so I can determine if your ideas could change my way of thinking. I hope no one takes offence for anything I say, especially if I don't say it right. My expertise is technical in nature whereas my weakness is in communication.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Graham,
    That's not nice of you. lol

Well I got a call last week from the produce stand he bought the rest of my honey at my price still had alot of the old timers honey on the shelf.He said everybody liked the one lb plastic squeeze bottles and the sample bottle I left for potential customers to sample really helped sell my honey.

Don't you all just love a happy ending?

Good for you KenR. Still cant kick the Old Timer, moneys money in the pocket. I just hope to harvest enough next spring to keep my Family and Friends sticky all year.

Rereading my post I hope you people don't think I have anything against older farmers I don't I just hate to see all their hard work get sold for half of whats it's worth.He knows to the cent on what cattle are bringing every week but seems to think that six dollars a lb is too much.We talk bees all the time and he's got a nich in the market for folks that like chunk honey and I've told him before that his ladies have to work harder then mine to make the same amount of honey.

Once again, there is wholesale and retail. The little guy wants retail price. The big producer probably needs to sell at wholesale in order to sell all his product. He may not have time to run around marketing his crop.
    Also, little guys tend to have an exaggerated sense of what their product is worth on the market. I often see proof of this on Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by kenr View Post
    Rereading my post I hope you people don't think I have anything against older farmers I don't I just hate to see all their hard work get sold for half of whats it's worth.He knows to the cent on what cattle are bringing every week but seems to think that six dollars a lb is too much.We talk bees all the time and he's got a nich in the market for folks that like chunk honey and I've told him before that his ladies have to work harder then mine to make the same amount of honey.
    Many, if not most, beekeepers aren't good at MARKETING their honey. Selling it for as much as they possibly can. I so often hear beekeepers say that they "got rid of all of their honey". Got rid of it?

Sell your honey. Try to figure out what it cost you to make a pound of honey and then decide what price would cover that, plus the costs of the jars, the labels, and caps and then double that. So what if you still have honey 9 months from now? You will make more profit from what you do sell.

If you don't think enough about your honey to demand a high price for it, neither will your customers. Every time I raise my prices I sell more honey. Maybe my customers see that higher price and think it must be better. Besides, it LOCAL!!

well said sqkcrk. it only takes a farmers bad year to keep things in perspective.

Since you've got it all figured out, how much would you suggest I ask for 20# of local beeswax, or should I sell 1# at a time?

For as much as you can. More than you competitor is asking.

> how much would you suggest I ask for 20# of local beeswax, or should I sell 1# at a time?

One place to get some level of wax pricing info is to look at the For Sale forum here. For instance, this thread offering wax:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...eswax-for-sale
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Take 8oz round pieces made in cup cake pans down to the beach and sell them to the surfers for $3.00 or $4.00 each. People still wax their boards don't they?

" More than you competitor is asking. "

I'm fascinated by your answer. Must be some newfangled economic principle involved!

Rader: Thanks for the helpful link.
    Last edited by Gino45; 07-22-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Really.

lol
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook