Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: old timers

Default old timers

This is killing me I stopped by the produce stand after I took honey supers off on Thursday and no one had brought in any local honey and the owner told me he would buy all I could bring him so this morning I went there and he had an old timer came in Saturday and gave his honey away $10 a quart of chunk honey with honey filled to the brim needless to say he didn't want to buy my $6 a pound extracted honey anymore.He finally did buy all my 8oz bears and 1Lb squeeze bottles when I told him I'd already told my friend list on facebook I was selling through him.Didn't get the production I was expectian but the Quality was awsome.

Default Re: old timers

He will once the old boy runs out. In the meantime, try not to panic and rush out to give you honey away.

Jean-Marc

So if I'm correct there are about 3 lbs. to a quart, so yea $10 a quart is a bit low I would say, but the stand owner has to sell it for a profit too, so whatever. Maybe the oldtimer figured $10 is better than wholesale at $2.25 a pound....everyone has their reasons. John

That's right GrimloadHD.

$10.00/qt seems a little low to me, especially considering the chunk honey handling. Don't worry about the other guys price. When the stand owner calls you for more tell him the price went up because people have been after you and you have been selling from home. Demand determines price.

I have a farm stand that buys lots of honey from me. It 100 miles away. They had some 5 lb jars that were showing crystalization and wanted me to exchange for all liquid honey. Sometimes they loose a case in their storage area and find it 6 months or a year later. I suggested they put a higher price on it and see if it sells. It did. If you can figure out your customers mind you'll have it made. Give 'em what they want.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

I told the store owner that if I had brought chunk honey in I would have charged him over $20 a quart he asked why and I told him the 9Lb of honey for the bees to make 1Lb of comb.He was amazed.

There isn't a pound of wax in that size a jar or even in the combs in the super which the chunk came from.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

There is a guy that 2 years ago was selling his honey for $10/quart. He sells it in his front yard on the honor system. Last year he raised it to $12/quart. I was talking to him last week telling him he should get at least $15/quart. He told me he was thinking about dropping it back down to $10. He has been keeping bees off and on for around 60 years. He is in bad health and I told him I would help him do whatever he needed to do with his bees for free, but my help would come with 101 questions.

An 'old timer' moved 70+ hives within 1/4 mile of my apiary. My last count was 132 shallow supers on his hives, I have 12 deeps and 3 mediums full of honey but I was splitting this year for build up and preparing for pollination season. I was waiting for the first volleys of what's going to be common courtesy vs common practice between us. Now I know.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Tell the old timer a dollar is only worth about .46 cents these days. Just do the math for him. By the time he gets around to spending that dollar, it will be worth .32 cents. He'd be better off saving the actual honey for his heirs than giving them the money he made from it at that price.
    Last edited by Lauri; 06-25-2013 at 08:47 PM.

What the old timer does is the old timers business. What you do is your business. If it is too much for you then get out of the business.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

ace, what's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    What the old timer does is the old timers business. What you do is your business. If it is too much for you then get out of the business.

I think Acebird went straight to the point, I got it

Pretty clear message from Ace.
    Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Falconite View Post
    There is a guy that 2 years ago was selling his honey for $10/quart. He sells it in his front yard on the honor system. Last year he raised it to $12/quart. I was talking to him last week telling him he should get at least $15/quart. He told me he was thinking about dropping it back down to $10. He has been keeping bees off and on for around 60 years. He is in bad health and I told him I would help him do whatever he needed to do with his bees for free, but my help would come with 101 questions.
    Smart and neighborly.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Is that why you gave up, couldn't handle it? And with no one even stepping on your toes lol
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

There are a lot of variables to solving this equation. Thus 1 answer does not fit all situations.

The guy with 1,000 lbs of honey can try to get a higher price than the gal with 50,000 pounds that she needs to sell. The guy with a few hundred pounds often sets a very high price because ...........................

Also markets vary greatly, as do local incomes. High income markets will pay more.

Nobody is the only one with the correct answer. For me, I just want to sell it all by the time the next year crop comes in.
    Last edited by Gino45; 06-26-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    Is that why you gave up,
    What's with this give up? I don't think you know me.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

No, you're certainly not one to give up.