Default Several questions. Flow ending in NY? Late season swarms?

I did a hive check yesterday and oh my. Capped honey as far as the eye could view down the top. I didnt remove frames, but removed boxes on my one hive to look for brood. I found capped brood finally near the bottom. All the rest was honey. (3 boxes..) I wish I had 10 more boxes, but instead I have ZERO. My question to those whom may know... when does the flow slow down or end for the summer around upstate NY area? Thinking to get more boxes, but may not if the flow is over or nearly so. ??? Ideas??

Also, since it looks like all my hives are full of capped honey, I am seriously worried about swarming right now. Is anyone seeing late swarms??? Swarm cells being formed?? Should I worry and check the brood chambers? Did not want to disturb. Also, hives are real angry these days. I didnt want to go down into the chambers unless needed.

Thanks all.

Dan

Default Re: Several questions. Flow ending in NY? Late season swarms?

If the flow is ending you don't really need more boxes right now - because they usually don't draw much comb without a strong flow. You need to extract some of that honey and give the drawn comb back to the hive so they have some room to work. If you don't have an extactor you can Make a very simple solar honey extractor like Ray Marler did.

Sounds like you are having a good year so far Dan!

Im over on the other side of the state, and things are pretty slow right now as far as a flow is concerned. But there is still a lot of goldenrod that is going to come in, and thats where a lot of the winter stores will probably come from... If you have lots of capped honey, I would seriously consider pulling and extracting some, and putting the wet supers back on until the goldenrod has passed.

Y I am thinking about the goldenrod flow that is on the horizon. The problem I see without more boxes at least is what to do with all the bees when I extract. Packing 5 boxes of bees into 2 boxes seems like a bad idea. Doesnt it??? Also thinking I may wish i had more boxes during golden rod flow. You know.. I think I am talking myself into another 4 mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan. NY View Post
    My question to those whom may know... when does the flow slow down or end for the summer around upstate NY area? Dan
    Two weeks earlier in Binghamton than in Brasher Falls. Extract your honey and put the boxes of comb back on and let them fill them up w/ the goldenrod flow.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Don't know about Auburn, but in Elmira, things usually dry up from about now for three weeks or so til g-rod.
    But, right now there is still birdsfoot trefoil, chicory and more, and wild mustard is just starting to bloom.
    There might not be a dearth here this year...my hives are still putting on weight.

But here, usually second or third week of July thru second or third week of August is usually slim pickin's for the bees because it is so dry.

There are a lot of microclimates around here. I'm 20 minutes away from Ithaca, and my floral varieties tend to be at least a week or two behind, and completely different, so my summer dearth is really short -- short enough I don't have to worry about it. I'm just finishing up the milkweed, and about halfway through the white clover. The thistles are just starting to bloom, and the basswood (in Ithaca) I believe is winding down.

I have two goldenrod varieties in my field; one is the "flat-top" kind, the other is the aromatic, feathery variety. I saw some flat-top plants that are just about to flower just this morning. If the weather continues to be kind, the goldenrod flow will go gangbusters, and in about three weeks. You're probably going to need more room, if you have a decent crop of goldenrod in your area.

You would benefit from more frames at least. You can take frames out of the boxes and put new ones in. It's not optimal, perhaps, but it gives the bees some space, and will give you a nice supply of drawn comb to work with later on. If your bees get honey bound (which it sounds like they are) I believe you do risk swarming, even in July/August.

I was wondering if there may not be a dearth this year. Also wondered this is an exceptional year or average or ? Based on my orchard, I think this is an above average year. I saw a few girls working queen anns lace, apparenly for pollen. Didnt know they worked that. I think mostly I am getting white clover.

I have been wondering about this too so I was happy to see the post Dan.

I am a first year beek in training and there are two hives I might consider extracting one medium, but being that I haven't seen the flow through out a season yet, I don't think I will be doing that. The prospect of getting a little honey crop from one of the four hives I started this year sounds great, but I am going to err on the side of caution for now.

My two hives that might be up for consideration right now are:
    (1) [1 deep with three mediums], two full of honey and 1 part brood and mostly honey;
    (2) [five mediums], two mostly brood chambers, 1 partial brood and two solid honey supers.

I think I will wait and see what happens for the last flow and keep stacking the boxes high. Since I am shooting to try out all mediums my plan was to take surplus after I get 5-6 mediums drawn out (anything after the 6th should definitely be surplus).

That's true, Shelley.
    One of my yards is a few hundred feet higher and the others and it is almost completely different than in the lower ones.

as good as the flows have been so far, napp weed is just starting, and golden rod is usually the biggest flow we have when there is enough moisture in the ground. Don't see any drop off in the amount of bees flying, except this morning its raining.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

I didn't go back to look, but on the way to Church on Sunday I thought I saw some Goldenrod just starting to bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    as good as the flows have been so far, napp weed is just starting, and golden rod is usually the biggest flow we have when there is enough moisture in the ground. Don't see any drop off in the amount of bees flying, except this morning its raining.
    I am counting on that flow! Hoping it will push my start ups into high gear for a strong finish this year.

Dan ny....get some supers and frames if you can afford them....you're gonna need them sometime anyhow....better safe than sorry......you may not need them now ...but you will !.....drawn comb is a bee's best friend ...seem's like you're doing good :-)

I didn't go back to look, but on the way to Church on Sunday I thought I saw some Goldenrod just starting to bloom.

Some goldenrod just starting to bloom in my neck of the woods. I have 3 queens coming tomorrow....2 for queenless cut-outs, and a 3rd to start a nuc. I hope this goldenrod flow is everything I have heard it can be. Need to get a few of these hives built up before winter!

Y thanks for that. I think I will get some for exactly that reason. Looking now for some deeps, locally if possible. Going to try and run bottom box as a deep. Keep all the rest mediums. I am worried about swarming though in the worst way. If they swarm, my fall harvest may not be so good. Not even sure how many drones are still around. Hopefully plenty.

I hope others are having a really good year.

Incidentally.. I have 4 total hives right now. One was overwintered, one was a split, 2 were packages. All are doing about the same. I gave the packages drawn frames with some honey in them. Its amazing how much better they do with drawn frames and some stores.

Reproductive swarming is about done...if they swarm now, it'll probably be from idleness. (Busy bees don't crowd the boxes)
    G one of the advantages of using foundation is more bees can draw foundation at once...so more are busy.

I usually don't use foundation, but when worried about an overcrowding swarm, I'd put a box or two on as quick as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybeebee View Post
    Dan ny....get some supers and frames if you can afford them....you're gonna need them sometime anyhow....better safe than sorry......you may not need them now ...but you will !.....drawn comb is a bee's best friend ...seem's like you're doing good :-)
    And get 'em on yer hives. Bees won't put honey in supers stored in the barn. Only the ones on the hives. I don't really care for taking off empty supers, but taking honey off of hives plugged out top to bottom tells me I coulda had another super or two on that hive.