Default First time Checking . . .

I hived our new bees last Saturday and opened the hive for the first time today. I could not locate the queen (she has a red dot on her back so we should have seen her). She wasn't in her shipping container so I know they got her out. The middle frames were started to be drawn out, but didn't appear completely drawn out. I saw some liquid in some, and some darker ones that I am assuming is pollen. I could not find any larvae. The book says you many not see any the first opening so I am hoping that is it. I plan on checking in another week.
    Does it sound like we may be fine and just didn't see her?

Default Re: First time Checking . . .

She may have taken a couple of days just to get out of her cage. It might take a couple to three days until you can see eggs. She may have been on the wall of the hive or they may have been covering her. Look for milky substance when you look again. If the eggs are over 4 days the bees will put bee milk in the cells she laid in. I bet she is there, even marked queens are sometimes hard to see. I have a white dotted one from 2011 I saw for the first time last week. I think I will forget the color code and mark them yellow from now on. The one I could not see for so long is a jet black Carniolan queen. I think you should just look for brood when you check in a few more days. Good luck!!

Yeah, I'd relax and check again in another week. Not time to worry yet

Sometimes a package queen starts laying as soon as she gets out. Sometimes it takes two weeks...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I now checked for the 2nd time and still cannot find our queen (she has a red dot on her abdomen and I looked pretty thorough, but no luck). Additionally, I could not see any eggs that were being layed. I am concerned that she may have died or left or (something?). Of the 10 frames in the brood box, about 6 of them are now being worked on pretty good, some capped, some not. I will see if I can attach a picture to this post. (I guess I cannot ... keep getting errors ... so ... put them here

http://www.jayjaynet.com/bees/bees1.jpg
    http://www.jayjaynet.com/bees/bees2.jpg
    http://www.jayjaynet.com/bees/bees3.jpg

Should I order a new queen? There are no queen cells nor swarm cells being created.

You have three frames of brood including eggs, open brood and capped brood. The third picture has a solid pattern of eggs. You have a perfectly good queen. Why would you order a new queen?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I see some pretty young larvae in your photos. They are easier to spot than the eggs. As Mister Bush mentioned, there a plenty of eggs in the third photo if you zoom in and look. Maybe you didn't see them?

I usually cannot see eggs when I'm looking at the frames and have a veil on. I can only spot them when I take a photo and look closely.

You are fine, don't worry!

It's not unusual for the workers to "groom" the dot off your queen. It's a pain, since you obviously have a marked queen for a reason, but you may now have an unmarked queen. Hakuna Matata.

In your first picture, three inches in from the left and 3 inches down, the bee with the dark black spot right behind her head....Could that be her and the dot has simply worn off?

Thank you ... I do see the larvae now ... not sure why I missed that originally.
    I am unsure on the eggs, however. In zooming in on the 3rd pic, at first I thought there were eggs, but then assumed this must be light as they're too perfectly centered in so many cells.

I also see 2 different types of cappings ... one more white, and the other a tad bit more tannish that is slightly convex. Are these different types of cells?

I have much to learn ... so thankful for the helpfulness of people here!

The white capped cells are likely honey, the others are your bees to be.

Jhrusky....very good post and great pictures...check out michael bush's link to his site....a couple good things there... :-)

Yes, flat, bright, white, usually along the top of a brood frame is honey. Slightly darker, slightly domed, in the "center" area of a brood frame is worker brood. Bulging, domed and usually along the bottom of the brood frame would be drone brood. I qualify these statements with "usually" =)