Default Where's the Honey

This is my 2nd or 3rd year of beekeeping and haven't had a good harvest yet.
    I just check my Russian hive a few weeks ago the bees were building in the super and adding honey, I just checked this past weekend and the honey super is bone dry.
    I check the bees's honey supply and they've plenty cap in medium#4, nothing appears to be robbed.
    Right now I have 5 mediums on the hive, (3 brood), (1 bee's supply) and 1 super.
    There's plenty of farms, woods and pollen.

Default Re: Where's the Honey

What's growing on these farms? Honey harvest is mainly dependent on nectar supply, if you don't have the flow you get no honey.

It could be one of three causes. First, your hive could be fighting off some disease your aren't aware of. Second, your colony might have poor genetics and doesn't collect a lot of honey. Third, your hive is in a bad location.

It's much easier to rule our problems with your hive when you run multiple hives in the same bee yard. I often find my hives vary a lot even in the same location that I know has a good nectar flow. I will sometimes find one hive that has filled three supers of honey and the one next to it hasn't even filled one. If it is a poor location all the hives will be struggling.

I am familiar with your area, so unless you landed in an odd spot with all row crops within a mile (rare for that area) you should be just fine for forage. we just entered a dearth here about 2 weeks ago, and a lot of honey has been consumed. we actually took honey before it started.

If it were mine I would do 2 things, first requeen. some hives will not store much surplus ever. seems to be a bit more common in russians than carniloans or Italians... but a new queen will change teh genetics of that hive quick.

second I would take any capped honey off, and feed for a cpl weeks to let them feed up some brood. About mid july we start the fall plants. soybeans being right there as well as burticks and such. as soon as you see pollen start coming in again, stop feeding, you can mark that super as bees only. and put your other empty frames back on.

Early days here. Not much honey yet. Still time for a crop. Be patient.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org