Default Smoke and Supers

When removing frames from the supers does any one use smoke or does that contaminate the honey. I have always used Bee Dunn and and a fume board. Smoke would make the process a lot easier in terms of unhappy bees. I have noticed that the smell of smoke does not dissipate from my clothes and it seems it would adversely impact the smell of the honey.

Default Re: Smoke and Supers

You will get smoked honey (nasty) if you use too much smoke. Just a few puffs is all that is necessary.

I don't use smoke to drive the bees from the super while it is on the hive. I do use it like I normally do when working a hive. My nose is not as sensitive as others. But I have not noticed a smoky taste to the honey.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I use lots of smoke when pulling supers to get as many bees out as I can first, and I honestly don't detect any residual smell or taste from the honey, and never had any family member or customer say anything either, so I guess I'll keep doing it. John

Odd.... I got a real smokey residual when I extracted my honey once. It could have come from when I smoked the hive that had honey that was yet to be capped. Once capped later and extracted, it smelled and tatsed like smoke.
    Only happend the one time from the one hive.

Yup, you had a smokey flavor to your honey because of the open cappings and too much smoke.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter