Default Gulf Coast Ants...coming to a hive near you.

Default Re: Gulf Coast Ants...coming to a hive near you. Crazy ants....

If they're worse than fireants then we *are* in trouble!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/...on-crazy-ants/

If they are drawn to electrical current - you can make a relatively cheap ant zapper. Not to mention that if they are drawn to high voltage potential then a regular bug zapper would work as well. On a positive side, if these ants are as prolific and voracious as they are painted to be in the media (we know those guys never exaggerate) this could be an ultimate pesticide. You plant them in the middle of a corn field, they eat every bug in sight and then starve to death themselves.

I would think that if they can make it all the way from South America (even in stages) then they wouldn't have much problem making it out of a cornfield. As for the bug zapper...it appears that they come in such large numbers that eventually they could overload the grid and shut it down...if they can shut down some of the things the article mentioned the bug zapper would be trivial to the crazy ants.

Anybody out there that has had a run in with these ants?

Ed

"If it's not one thing, it's another!" -- Roseanne Roseannadanna, Saturday Night Live, circa 1978

It never stops........
    South Florida, 9 hives, 2 nuc, no treatments, foundation free, slatted racks, bottom entrances, zone 10b

Those ants are too close for comfort! I hope they don't come up to north central texas.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    if they can shut down some of the things the article mentioned the bug zapper would be trivial to the crazy ants.
    The devices mentioned in the article are not designed to have bugs crawling on the inside and shorting out power supply. Bug zapper is. Naturally it will have to be self emptying

OK, modify my idea. You drop ants on the cornfield that is lined on the borders with bug zappers. Ants eat everything in sight, move to the edges in search of new food sources and get all zapped At the end of the summer you collect composted piles of ants and use them as fertilizer.

They are here in North Texas. Going to dump boiling water on the hill in my garden, will open the hives and investigate, grease the poles of the metal hive stand, wish me luck
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Are these them if so there in Arkansas .

Nothing ventured nothing gained . Sometimes the only way to learn is do .
    20 Hives and 2 Experiments = 22

Don't think those are the same. Not 100% sure the ones I found were the crazy's, but I called my exterminator and he says he is seeing them. Going to hit my yard with beneficial nematodes
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

You need to take a pic so we can compare .

But from pics I'm seeing on the net . The ants in my pics looks like the crazy ants .

got 3 inches of rain today so that photo will have to wait. Trying to get them move into my brown paper yard waste bag so I can give them to the city, but I will get a photo first. (nice dead fish in the bag for "bait")

They get their name from their rapid erratic movements. To be honest, mine don't bite, I disturbed them thoroughly yesterday then picked up a clump of dirt with a few on it, small apricot ants, no bites. From all accounts the actual crazy ants do bite, attack baby birds during hatch, etc, and these didn't. but they did severely damage or kill my young fig tree. I lifted it and moved to a pot to try to save. Only thing near it was the anthill in its roots

Ya these move around a lot also . I bet the the crazy ant . I'm right on a main road with heavy Texas traffic .