Default Stealth D. Coates Nuc Swarm Trap

Just a few pics of some traps I made from Coates' design. I bought the lumber at a saw mill and added wingnuts for the tops so I wouldn't have to worry about popping a top - the terrain here is very steep. I also added wire on the side so I can hang branches off them so they won't draw attention. Some are not that far from a couple of local apiaries.

I lost 3 out of my 4 hives to AFB recently and I am hoping I will get lucky and trap something. I have two out already and today I placed eight more.

I used a propolis derivative lure and LGO - I have no brood comb since I burned everything last week.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas here, it makes this hobby (which is new for me) much less frustrating.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Stealth D. Coates Nuc Swarm Trap

Where did you get the plans to make that? Do you mind sharing? Did you paint them green to blend in with the trees. I am thinking of making some for next year. Thanks!

Nice job on these...I like the wingnuts & the fact that they are made out of boards instead of plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyD View Post
    Where did you get the plans to make that? Do you mind sharing? Did you paint them green to blend in with the trees. I am thinking of making some for next year. Thanks!
    http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...oates-version/

I made a couple of small changes, but basically this is just a Coates nuc being used as a swarm bait hive. I used some threaded rod clamped between the end piece of the box and the piece that is placed above it to form the handhold - this allows me to use the wingnut to secure the top so that if I drop the thing I won't have bees all over the place.

I need to paint them a darker/more natural tone of green, perhaps two tone in a camouflage pattern - they don't perfectly match the foliage. That said, unless you are looking for them (once covered with branches) they would be hard to notice.

Cheers!

Cool design changes. The color, the design change (adding the wiring) and hanging limbs on the boxes might even work in my neighborhood where there's rock chunking boys roaming all over the place.

I used the D. Coates plans, too, but I made 8 frame mediums and they caught 2 swarms so far.

bnt
    Let's turn it around
    America Bless God