Default Questions on my splits and the parent hive??

Ok so on May 31st I took the second split off of one of my hives. The first split, I took the exsisting queen from hive a placed her in a nuc box along with ELB(eggs, larva, and brood) along with pollen and nector. The first split is doing great. My questions are on the parent hive...

So the 31st of June will be thirty days since the second split. Everything looks normal in the parent hive...the queen cell hatched and she aborted all the other queen cells in the hive. All of the new frames that where put in the hive have been drawn out and most if not all are full of nector. The only thing I'm concerned about is there is no evidence of a laying queen yet and I'm going on vacation until the 8th of July. Should I re-queen before I leave or will the hive be OK until I return from vacation and can look for a queen and re-queen at that time in necassary? I would like to wait, if possible, to let nature take its course. But don't want to loose a hive if it means buying another queen! Is there a chance there is a mated queen in the hive that just has know where to lay? Should I replace a few frames? Will the bees move nector up into a super to give the queen room the lay?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Dave

Default Re: Questions on my splits and the parent hive??

I'd wait and see. Yes, it will be 30 days since you split, but your new emerged queen just about came in this world and is probably getting ready to get mated, or getting close to laying...All your emerging brood, as they vacate the cells should give your newly mated queen space to lay in. Unless you have a crazy good nectar flow that they pack every cell...not likely.
    And just for peace of mind...take a frame with young brood/eggs from the first split, since you mentioned it is doing great, and give it to your hive in question. If there is no queen, they will start cells...If there is a queen, the pheromones of the open brood might just give her a boost. Can't go wrong doing it.
    Either way, you'll learn something new. Good luck!

Default Re: Questions on my splits and the parent hive??

Quote Originally Posted by BEEADDICT View Post
    The only thing I'm concerned about is there is no evidence of a laying queen yet and I'm going on vacation until the 8th of July. Should I re-queen before I leave or will the hive be OK until I return from vacation and can look for a queen and re-queen at that time in necassary? I would like to wait, if possible, to let nature take its course. But don't want to loose a hive if it means buying another queen! Is there a chance there is a mated queen in the hive that just has know where to lay? Should I replace a few frames? Will the bees move nector up into a super to give the queen room the lay?
    Michael Bush has some good info on how long it takes from egg to laying queen:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

At 30 days, you should see eggs soon. Would it be possible to have another beek friend to check while you are gone? Sounds like your queen hatched. So unless she did not return from a mating flight, she should be in there. If it were me, I would open up the brood nest and wait. For insurance, swap a frame of nectar for a frame of eggs from another hive. This would open up your brood nest, and give you some more young bees.

Shane