Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ceder hives : worth it?

Yes, cedar does "help" prevent decay and insect attack. But NO it most definitely will not prevent wax moth, shb, or varroa damage. None of these are pests of wood but instead they are pests of what lives within these wooden hives. It's important to note that wax moth and shb are much worse in some climates than others. Leave dark, pollen filled comb unattended in the heat of a Midwestern, southern or western US summer and I guarantee you that you will have wax moth pretty much everywhere regardless of the type of wood and you will find shb in most southeastern coastal climates. MB is quite correct, I am sure I wouldn't have much trouble finding some old cedar boxes rife with wax moth cocooning scars.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Yes, cedar does "help" prevent decay and insect attack. But NO it most definitely will not prevent wax moth...
    Show me the REAL proof of your statement please.
    Do you have some cedar hives?

Boris Romanov

> Show me the REAL proof of your statement please. Do you have some cedar hives?

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    MB is quite correct, I am sure I wouldn't have much trouble finding some old cedar boxes rife with wax moth cocooning scars.

Jim Lyon maintains thousands of hives, and has been in the business for many years. I have no doubt that the wood in his hives over the years has come from many types of trees, including some from cedar.

Also note that there are multiple varieties of cedar trees and not all cedar trees/lumber have the same moth/insect characteristics. Eastern red cedar is known as aromatic cedar for its reputed moth repellent properties. But there are other commercially available cedar lumber varieties that are not the same, for instance, western cedar:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuja_plicata
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

>will not prevent wax moth...
    Show me the REAL proof of your statement please.

I have nothing to prove. If you wish to believe your lack of wax moths is due to cedar, you are welcome to that opinion. I simply don't have time to sort through hundreds of boxes to find the cedar ones and then through the cedar ones for the wax moth scarred ones and then take pictures and then post them. I had hoped the same as many have hoped, that cedar would help with wax moths and varroa etc. and I looked for evidence to that effect. Cedar did not help. There is certainly nothing wrong with cedar boxes and they will resist rot, but I wouldn't pay the difference in price to buy the cedar.

I am simply sharing my experience. You are welcome to ignore it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    ...I have nothing to prove...
    I expected to get a such type of your answer...
    In my opinion statements without real proofs are useless.

Boris Romanov

Quote Originally Posted by zorares View Post
    Very Interesting. Salt. Gotta try that. I've been sprinkling cinnamon to help control ants. I'll have to make a mix of salt and cinnamon.
    I'm a newbee and I'm curious about the cinnamon controlling fire ants. Since you live in Texas, zozares, I assume it will. Is cinnamon effective with fire ants? Also have you tried that salt and cinnamon mixture? If so, what do you think of that?