Default First time nuc question

I purchased two nucs about second week of May. I transferred both nucs into 10 frame deeps with drawn comb and have been feeding 1:1 continuously. The bees only seem to be laying brood in the three center frames that had brood in the nuc. There is also very little capped stores in the outer frames. Just wondering if I should go ahead and add the second deep so the queen can move up as it doesn't seem she wants to expand out and to also let bees start drawing wax since I have just a few more frames already drawn. Have always had packages before and I thought nucs would give a head start over a package but now not so sure. Any advice on what to do is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: First time nuc question

Quote Originally Posted by mlturner265 View Post
    I purchased two nucs about second week of May. I transferred both nucs into 10 frame deeps with drawn comb and have been feeding 1:1 continuously. The bees only seem to be laying brood in the three center frames that had brood in the nuc. There is also very little capped stores in the outer frames. Just wondering if I should go ahead and add the second deep so the queen can move up as it doesn't seem she wants to expand out and to also let bees start drawing wax since I have just a few more frames already drawn. Have always had packages before and I thought nucs would give a head start over a package but now not so sure. Any advice on what to do is greatly appreciated.
    It is typical for my bees to not pull and draw out the edge frames on 10 frame equipment. Some people will rotate the edge frames more towards the middle. Then they will pull them out. Once they have seven or eight frames drawn and filled, I would add the second box.

If you have a good flow on, and they bees have a few frames of stores, I would stop feeding.

Shane

I had enough drawn comb for all 10 frames so the bees did not have to draw any wax. I can't get them to fill more than one or two frames with syrup and very little of that gets capped. So all together the bees are only really using about six frames.

Give them another box and see what happens. With a box of ten drawn frames it shouldn't hurt and will probably help.

Sometime it takes a little while for a queen to get in a good laying pattern but if you got them the second week of May she should have by now. I would do like Ardilla said and go ahead add a second box and see what happens. If the queen does begin to lay in the second box she may only lay in the frames just above the ones in the first box that already has brood. I call this "chimney brood", where she only lays in the center frames in both boxes. If this happens you can go in and reconfigure the frames and put all brood frames in the first box in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the responses. I think I will add second box with only a couple of drawn frames. Maybe the undrawn frames will give the bees something to stimulate them into storing more syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmullins View Post
    Some people will rotate the edge frames more towards the middle. Then they will pull them out.
    Why do they then pull them out? Why not just let the bees do their thing?

Quote Originally Posted by mlturner265 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will add second box with only a couple of drawn frames. Maybe the undrawn frames will give the bees something to stimulate them into storing more syrup.
    You could let them pull out a few foundationless frames. That is what I would do.

It's not about what they have drawn, it's about how many bees you have. If they are covering 8 out of 10 frames, give them more room. If not, wait. Bees that are given more room than they can manage don't thrive.